Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Plague Of The Small Dog Owners

It happened to me a few months ago. I was at the Comcast office down in Auburn standing in line, watching an episode of "Family Feud" on the Television on the wall, and noticed the sign that read "Service Animals Only Please". Much to my dismay, not long after reading this sign, I happen to notice someone in line, who was holding a small dog.
 
What kind of service is that dog doing?
 
I understand the world that we live that there are 'service' dogs that do more than being a seeing eye dog, but for the most part, in my opinion the people who bring these small dogs into every last commercial establishment are not in need of a service dog. They are people whom live their life that believe that the rules don't apply to them.
 
Some of the other rule breaking dog owner types-
 
1. The "dog is in my purse so its okay" owner.
 
2. The "dog is wearing a muzzle so I can bring it on school grounds" owner.
 
3. The "dog is in the baby carriage so I can shop with it" owner.
 
4. The "my pit bull wont bite your kids so it can be off the leash" owner.
 
5. The "if I can carry my dog he wont bother anyone" owner.
 
Did you catch this little story? A Phoenix bound plane was diverted because the owner let the small dog out of its cage and it bit someone on a plane. You can read the story http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101207/od_nm/us_usa_airline_dog . If I was on that plane I would be annoyed if my plane got diverted because someone didn't follow the rules.
 
Here's the deal. I own a dog. A big one. He's about 80 lbs. If I was holding him in my arms at the check out line at walmart, I'm sure someone would look at me funny. But size is not the issue here, its societal norms and rules that are the issue.
 
Rules, however odd or constrictive have some sort of connection to allowing other people to live their lives without being affected by you living yours. I agree that some of these rules are not agreeable with me, but nonetheless, they exist, so I must live within in them. When I follow them, regardless of whether or not I agree with them, I allow other people to live in a way that they are not affected by my choice to not follow the rules- like if I parked in the no parking zone every single day when I pick up my kids at school (I didn't pull that example out of nowhere).
 
God has some do's and don'ts also.  These do's and don'ts are not constrictive, they are actually freeing. Why? Because from the time we are children we learn that we operate better when there are limits with what we do. Its not always initially easy or fun to keep these limits, but when I keep these limits and 'stay within the lines' I find that my life is more fruitful. My soul more at peace. My relationships less strained.
 
Rules, being what they are, apparently are there for a reason.
 
Are you a rule breaker/bender? Do you look for ways around a rule instead of staying within the rule? Challenge yourself today to stay within the social rules no matter how much you may not agree with them. You will find that you feel better, interact better with others, and honor those around you with whom you live.
 
Be Blessed
pastor matt
 

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment