Tuesday, September 6, 2011

If I Can't Go To The Moon, I'm Not Going Anywhere (pic included)

Moon

Have you ever had a huge goal? Something that you wanted to do or accomplish or get done? Big or small, goals are good. But there is a dangerous part of goal setting that is important to remember. I call it the "Moon or nowhere" syndrome. 

Let me explain. 

I have come to the realization that I am never going to walk on the moon, and I'm okay with it.  By some estimates, there has been about 105 billion people that have ever lived on this planet, of which 12 people have walked on the moon. 

Not very good odds of me going to the moon based on that statistic. 

Now, at this point, I have a choice to make, I am either going to find an achievable goal that will be somewhat as exhilarating or monumental or I will state that since I cannot go to the moon, I am not going to go anywhere. 

I fell victim to this syndrome a few years back with my workouts. When I was in college, I was very fit and quite consistent with my workouts. I was making great advances in my overall fitness. 

Then I got married, and started eating, and found out that when you have a life and a wife there isn't a lot of time hanging around for weighing your food and going to the gym for 2 hours a day. For a while, because I could not accomplish in the gym what I wanted to, I did nothing. I didn't care what I ate and I didn't do any physical activity.

Let me let you in on a little secret- when you don't care what you eat and you don't do any physical activity it will eventually catch up with you. 

So what do we do? If we can't go to the moon, do we do nothing? Obviously not. I got back into the gym and set some different goals and realized I am not a 20 year old college student anymore. 

The correct mindset to have is to realize that possibly the goal that has been set is too high, therefore a new goal must be set. One that is measureable and achievable. I may not be able to go to the moon, but I can hike a mountain. I may not be able to go into a rocket ship, but I can jump out of a plane. (for the record I do not want to go to the moon, climb a mountain or jump out of a plane). 

What things are you not doing in your life because they seem too far out of your reach? What can you do today that is a more realistic goal? Set a more realistic goal and you will find that you are accomplishing more because you are setting the bar at a height at which you can reach it. Once you reach it, you will end up setting a higher goal. 

Set a goal today. Spiritual, physical, emotional, financial or career. Whatever it is. Set one. 

Be blessed
pastor matt

ps. here is a slick pic of the moon my friend Dmitry took. 

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment