Friday, November 21, 2008

Out of Place

Currently, our church is partnering with the para-church ministry Young Life. Young Life is a ministry that goes into schools and shares the message of the Gospel. They do this through their Young Life "club" events that happen every other week or so, with other fun events.

Anyway, my youth leader and I go down to the Jr. high and High School almost every week to have lunch with the kids from our church, and also hang out a bit with their friends.

Being back in the Jr. High feels like I'm back in Jr. High. I feel so out of place. Mind you, I'm 6 foot 5 so I probably don't really "blend in" with these kids, but in addition to that, I find that its difficult to connect with them on a real level. I can't figure out if I'm not asking the right questions, or if they just don't like me, but it seems as though my attempts to connect are not going that well.

We've been going there all year and part of last year also. I'm getting to know some kids. Its nice. I'll be honest with you. Most days, I feel like quitting going to the schools. Its uncomfortable for me, I feel out of place, I don't feel like I'm making much of a difference. When you feel that way for an extended amount of time, usually you will pack it up, because hey, its not doing much.

But alas, there is this person named Jesus that I work for that has called me to this work. Therefore, I must not give up. I may feel like giving up, because its not meeting my expectations, but I must not give up, because it was He who called ME to this work, not the opposite.

I'm sure there is areas of your life where you feel like quitting. I'll tell you- Join the club. Most of us feel like quitting things alot of the times. But when you quit, you never really realize the full benefits of the experience, because you never saw it through. My guy James and I are in this for the long haul. If it means going through Jr. high all over again to please the Lord, I'll do it. It may not be the funnest part of my week, or the most comfortable, or to me the most fruitful, but I have to rest on the fact of He who called Me.

It make take a while, or it may never meet my expectations, but I know that there is an audience of one who is pleased. I know he likes that we are at least trying to share his love. Attempting great things. Using what limited gifts we have. That's enough for me.

Be encouraged today. Don't worry that things may not be going at the pace that you think that they should.

Someone reading this today is thinking about 'throwing in the towel'.

Don't give up. If He called you to it, He'll be the one to sustain you in it.

blessings,
matt

No comments:

Post a Comment