Thursday, July 29, 2010

How To Be First In Line

I like to eat. Now, I'm not to the point where I am an over eater, I just like to eat. I'm nothing special. I don't know anyone who doesn't like to eat. Seeing how everyone I know is alive, they eat every day, if they didn't, they would be dead. That's the nature of food. It keeps us alive.
 
There are some foods that I really like. Donuts, shrimp, watermelon, salmon, and pizza are a few that are on the top of my list. Come to think of it, there aren't many pastries that I've met that I don't like. Oh, and I like cake. Sheet cakes especially.
 
My wife made a sheet cake the other day for my son's birthday. He turned 10. Like I said before, I like sheet cakes and most of all the corner pieces, so when the time came for the cutting of the cake, do you know what the first thing was that went in my mind? The hope that I would be one of the few that got a corner piece.
 
Truth is, I usually want a corner piece to the point that if someone else wanted one I wouldn't care if they didn't get one, as long as I got one. In this case, my desire for the corner outweighs the other persons desires. In my mind I rationalize that there are four corners, therefore if there were someone else that wanted a corner they have 3 additional chances at a corner after I've got mine.
 
It even happens at church. People know it too. I'm a corner piece guy. That's how I roll. Again, even at church I don't care who gets left out of the corner crowd as long as I get my piece.
 
Notice a trend? When it comes to corner pieces of cake, I'm a selfish guy. I don't think about others, I think about me and what I want. Sure, I'm talking about cake here, but I'm making a point that probably rings true in other areas of my life also. Being upfront about the cake is easier and funnier. If it was something else you'd probably pass more judgment on me than you already are.
 
Here's the deal. Selfishness is not good. Its not what God desires of us. He never intended for us to be selfish people. Jesus said in the Bible that the last will be first and the first will be last. Yes, I'm sure he wasn't talking about cake at that point, but the verse indirectly points to God's order in things. In God's economy you lose something to find it, you give it away to get it, you sit at the end of the table to get to the head, you go to the end of the line to be at the front.
 
What's my point? Selfishness gets us no where. We shouldn't be that way. There is more than enough cake to go around, and if we don't get a corner piece its not the end of the world.
 
Is there an area of your life that you're selfish? Something in your life that you focus too much on that keeps you from serving God whole-heartedly? An area that you are overly selfish? You need to get over yourself, and realize that selfishness is not part of the plan.
 
Give up the corner piece of cake.
 
Be blessed
matt

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment