Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Kick it hard, but don't use your hands!

Some of you may have heard- I have signed up to be a soccer coach for my 8 year old daughters team. 

She has never played soccer, and neither have I, so this experience is going to be rather interesting. To tell you the truth, I am a little nervous. 

I am going to have 9 little players who are going to be depending on me to teach them the basics and lead them to victory. I could honestly have an Olympic hopeful on my team and one day they could be standing at some podium and say something like "I owe the foundation of my excellence to my first coach, Coach Matt" or "I never thought I could achieve heights such as this when I started with the worst coach I had in my career when I was 8 years old". 

This is serious business here. 

But there is part of my plan for success that I am going to share with you, that I think applies to other areas of your life that may encourage you. Here it is-

1. Find Someone Better.
No, I'm not saying the team needs a better coach, but already I am contacting and talking to other coaches that have done this before who can guide me. I know that my chances for success are that much better if I ask for help from someone who knows more than I do. 

2. Read something.
Books- they have existed for a long time and still contain valuable knowledge to teach us things. I am reading books about soccer and ingesting as much information about it as I can. I heard a phrase one time- "Leaders are Readers". Text is a great way to learn. 

3. Set Realistic Goals.
Initially, I was thinking about going for the youth soccer world cup, but then I came to my senses and figured I would settle on everyone learning something, and everyone having a good time. Winning is fun, but playing is fun too. Sometimes we set our expectations so high that we don't enjoy the moment. 

4. Be Committed
I know before I start that at some point I am going to want to quit. It will probably be about half way through the season when it is cold and rainy and things aren't going as well as I expected. But now, before I start, I am committed to seeing this to the end, no matter what. 

Now, this is for my soccer team, but I am sure that there is some area of your life that you can apply this to also. 

Set a spiritual, emotional, physical or financial goal today and stick to it. Realize that God wants to help you through the process, that there is something you can learn and that you'll be better on the other side because of it. 

Be blessed. 
pastor matt

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

1 comment:

  1. Always play your best
    Make mistakes and always look to improve
    Have tons of Fun!!

    Notice there is nothing about winning, focus on the individual development of the self and skills, the winning happens all by itself my friend. God sees to that. Tony

    ReplyDelete