Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Adult Stuck In A Playground Swing For 9 hours! (article included)

Davis-swing

Have you ever done something that you wish you hadn't done? I am sure that this guy in this article wishes that he wouldn't have taken the bet against his friends on whether or not he could fit into a child's swing at a playground. He got in there, got stuck, and then his 'friends' left him there for 9 hours to hang in the air! I guess he got back all that time as a kid when he asked his parents if he could stay on the swing for 'one more minute'. He got 9 more hours in fact!

You can read the article here- http://www.timesheraldonline.com/ci_19176380

We have all done stuff that we wish that we had not. I think the difference is that usually what we did does not show up on a news story!

I was reflecting on that article this morning, and I was thinking- what would compel a grown man to try to shove himself into an apparatus that was obviously only meant for a child? The article does not say how large the man was, but I don't think that I could have fit in there, that is for sure. But even if I could, what would be the point? 

I'm guessing it was to get a laugh. 

Ha ha buddy. Ha ha. Its not that funny for him 9 hours later I'm sure. Maybe he shouldn't have tried to be a kid again. Perhaps he has grown up to the point where doing childish things aren't as fun as they used to be. 

 But here's what I was thinking this morning as I was reading this article- often times we do childish things when it comes to our own lives. It may not be soaping up and getting into a swing, but maybe its something different. The way we talk to someone, the way we respond to someone, the attitude we have in a situation. Something childish that comes through in our daily life. 

These two verses came to my mind- Matt 18:3 "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven". and 1 Corinthians 13:11 "When I was a child, I talked like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man I put the ways of my childhood behind me".

Two different views. How do we reconcile them? I think we should always have child like faith when it comes to the things of God, but I think in our actions and our demeanor we should move past our childish ways. The things we did as children we need to move past, but the faith we had as children should not change. 

What is the message today? Have child like faith, but don't act like a child when you are an adult. I am sure that you won't be getting into any swing sets anytime soon but I think you can get the point this morning- there is a point when you have to grow up, and if you don't you may find yourself in a situation that you may not like, simply because you made a childish decision. 

Stay a child, but grow up. 

Be blessed
pastor matt

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I remember doing something I regretted when I was like 17... Me and some buddies put a firecracker in a piece of work equipment... I though it would be funny. Man oh man did I get my boss mad, he almost fired me, but luckily he showed me some grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well said Matt...maturity..it's not just for breakfast anymore

    ReplyDelete