Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Power of Proper Priorities

Priorities. We all have them. We talk about them, we schedule them, we focus on them. Or do we? I think that alot of people have professed priorities that do not match up with how they actually live their lives.

People will say, " I really want to lose some weight" or " I want to get out of debt" or "I want to improve my relationship with my spouse" but when you begin to really examine their actions, alot of times their actions don't match up with their stated priorities.

Let me give you an example from weight loss. Someone may say that they want to lose weight, but they eat too much food that is bad for them, or just too much food. They may say they want to exercise more, but never schedule the time to do it. They TALK about it, but never DO anything about it. From their actions it is evident that what they really want is to eat calorie rich food, and not exercise. As the old adage goes, "actions speak louder than words".

Merely talking about something does not make it so. Its the DOING it that makes it so. I guarantee that there are areas of all our lives where there is a disconnect with what we profess and how we live it out in our daily lives. The key is, put actions behind your words.

My point? What is the number one stated priority in your life? Does it match up with how you spend your time and resources? Looking at your checkbook is an easy way to determine where you are placing your priorities. There's no hiding what you value when you look at where you spend.

I meet alot of people who claim that they are Christian and they want God's best for their life, but the actions don't match up. I like that statement that says "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions". Its even more impactful for the Christian. If you say that your relationship with God is your number one priority. Live like it. Focus on it. Put your energy into it. Its amazing how much growth you can see in an area of your life if you match up the action part with the intention part.

Get em straight.

matt

No comments:

Post a Comment