Friday, September 24, 2010

Going To The Gun Show (and some cotton candy!)

Last night was our kids open house at the school. I don't know how it happened, but I got collared to work the cotton candy machine. It was actually pretty fun. I've never worked a cotton candy machine before. There were times I felt like it was going to get away from me, and I was going to be covered in the fluffy pink sugar, but I kept it together. Yay me.
 
The machine was in the lunch room of the school, where they had pizza and popcorn for people to buy, so there was a few hundred people in the room. Because of where I was standing, and my height, it put me in a perfect position for some good people watching. I love to watch people. Study what they do, watch the family interactions. See how kids respond to each other. Its fascinating to me.
 
Well last night was no different. I saw this guy (whom I have never met or been introduced to) who I have seen at probably half a dozen school functions over the past 1.5 years. I've seen him on field trips, class functions, open houses and plays at the school. I've also seen him at restaurants and stores around town also.
 
Every time I've seen that guy, no matter what the weather, he is wearing a sleeveless shirt. A 'muscle' shirt if you will.
 
The truth is, he's got 'em. He's got some meat hooks. Its clear that dude works out and has a nice set of guns. He must be plumber because he clearly has some pipes.
 
When I saw him last night, at the cotton candy machine, I thought to myself 'brother- somehow you're going to be my blog tomorrow'.
 
There are a ton of directions I can go with this, but here's where I ended up. Does it matter if that guy wants to wear muscle shirts every day? I'll tell you- no. Here's what I love- that guy wears what he wants and doesn't seem to care what anyone thinks. He's worked hard to get those biceps and by golly he and the world are going to get the chance to enjoy them regardless of the weather or social situation. I like it. Good for him.
 
I think that sometimes we spend far too much time thinking about what other people are going to think about what we wear.  I often think I should go 'Einstein' and wear the exact same think every single day. It would certainly make my life a whole lot easier.
 
Because here's the bottom line- God doesn't care what you wear. He cares about you heart. He cares about what's going on inside, not the outside. He could care less what you're wearing, He wants you to spend more time reflecting about what's going on inside you not outside you.
 
Jesus said  "For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander". Wow. Pretty big stuff there. Lots about the heart, not much about the clothes. Maybe if we spent more time on the inside or the outside this world would be a better place.
 
Do a bit of self inventory today- do you spend more time on what's going on in your closet versus what is going on in your heart? Do you worry more about what people think about what you're wearing rather than reflecting on how you treat people?
 
Let spend more time focusing on the inside, and less on the outside. You can go the gun show anytime you'd like.
 
blessings
pastor matt

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment