Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I Had The Most Horrible Dream Last Night

I had the most horrible dream last night. One of those ones where you don't even know that your dreaming. It looks, feel, smells, and appears as if whatever is happening in your dream is your real life. Its no fun. Its emotional and painful and for some reason, a bit hard to unpack and understand.
 
I'll tell you what my dream was about if you save the Freudian interpretations for yourself- last night I had a dream that my wife left me when she went to her 20 year high school reunion. I know, it seems stupid to even say. Especially if you know Crystal and the relationship that we have. She'd go join a rap group before that would happen, and if you know Crystal you know the probability of that one. Its zero probability.
 
Save the mathematical interpretation of the dream for a min. For me, while I was asleep, what I was feeling in my dream was real to me. I was scared, angry, and emotionally dejected. I was weeping, crying and trying to understand what had happened and what was going to happen from here. I believed that what was happening to me at the time was true. Everything in my body and mind told me that what I was experiencing was real, except it wasn't. It was all a dream.
 
Here's where it gets interesting. We all have things that we believe that aren't true. Lies that someone has told us about ourselves. Falsities about God that aren't grounded in reality. Thoughts about ourselves that plague us with feelings of insecurity and doubt. We don't have to be asleep for these things to torment us. We go through it every day.
 
So what do you do with it? You don't believe it! You take the time to unpack it and go through it in your mind and realize that what you're believing about yourself or a situation isn't grounded in reality. How do we do that? With the Lord, with prayer, with a trusted friend. We open ourselves up to be vulnerable to a point where someone can help us to understand that what we are believing is not true, so that we will not be in emotional bondage to it. If you keep it to yourself, you can't be set free from it.
 
It was the first thing I did this morning when I woke up. I told Crystal what I had dreamed and she assured me I was just dreaming.  Sure, it was just some kooky dream, but even things such as that have a way of getting away from us.
 
Only believe truth. Believe the real stuff and don't allow the stuff that isn't real to consume your brain. You can't spend your life believing things that aren't true.
 
Be blessed
matt

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment