Thursday, September 23, 2010

I Was Wondering If You Would Like This Bag of Garbage

I have a problem with keeping things that I do not use longer than I should. Sorry mom, but I think I get that from you. For some reason, the way I was raised, I was taught that its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Because of that, I always find myself keeping stuff that I never use, or clearly don't need.
 
For example- I have two corrugated plastic pipes that go to my old pool pump. They're sitting in my garage, and I keep thinking I'll use them some day for a Halloween costume, or a retro-fit for a plumbing disaster. Every so often I'll pick them up and wave them around in the air and they make that 'woo-woo' sound. Its pretty slick. Its that kinda stuff.
 
Or its the old can of paint from that project 7 years ago that is that color I didn't like back then. There is also the old boxes of old clothes I'll never wear again and the boxes of old sheets.
 
I got to the point this past week where I cleaned out a bunch of that junk from my garage. Yep. It was hard, but I went through and found a whole SUV load of stuff I clearly didn't need or want and took it to the donation station.  It felt good to get rid of it. Now I have some room in my garage that I didn't have before.
 
It got me thinking as I was dropping thr junk off yesterday at the Goodwill.  I wondered why it is that people only give away the stuff they don't want to charity and think they're doing a good thing.
 
I know, its kind of a rough statement isn't it? But isn't it true? No one I have ever met ever has bought something new to take down to a donation station. We usually take our old worn out stuff or things that we do not want or need and donate them. After we do it, we have the audacity to believe that we've actually done someone a favor.
 
Sure, we've helped. They can use some of that stuff, but isn't it somewhat sad that we only give away our garbage? The refuse of our life that we don't really need rather than the best that we have?
 
From a spiritual perspective, I wondered if this is what we do sometimes with our relationship with God? Give him our leftovers?
 
Wow. I know, its a bit heavy for a Thursday morning, but it's what I got. We should be people that give our best. I'm not saying we need to go down to Best Buy and buy a flat screen TV to donate to a charity. I'm painting the picture that the reality of a lot of our giving isn't really giving if its only us getting rid of we don't want. When we decide that we're going to give time that we treasure, items we need, or money that we could use somewhere else, to someone who needs it, we honor God in the process. We truly live out the love of God and others in our life.
 
Do you give your best? Or only your refuse? Don't be a person that gives leftovers and garbage. Be a person that gives your best.
 
Be blessed,
matt

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment