Thursday, September 30, 2010

Have You Ever Felt Like Not Getting Out of Bed?

I used to work with this guy who said that when his alarm went off first thing in the morning that he would immediately jump out of bed, stand up, clap his hands and get excited about the day. He said that it kept him from pushing the snooze button and starting his day off lethargic rather than energetic.
 
That's one way to do it. The other one is set your alarm 45 mins before you actually have to get up and then hitting the snooze button half a dozen times before actually getting out of bed. Whatever floats your boat, they say. For me? Most days I set my alarm to get up and really don't want to get out of bed. Its not because I don't love my career, or because there is something I don't want to face. Its quite simple in fact- my bed is so soft and cozy, I just don't want to get out of it. It feels so nice.
 
Simply put, I just don't feel like getting out of bed.
 
I think there are a lot of things in my life I don't 'feel' like doing that I end up doing. Here's a quick list of things I usually don't feel like doing.
 
1. Getting out of bed (I said that one already)
2 Restricting what I eat
3. Going to the gym.
4. Answering email.
5. Holding my tongue.
6. Going to a party where I don't know anyone.
7. Helping someone move.
8. Cleaning up stuff around the house
9. Having a needed confrontation
10. Saving money.
 
I came up with that list in about 90 seconds. Its not hard. Those are just some of the things I don't feel like doing. I've got lots more. Spiritual and personal things I don't like to do also. But here's the deal- everything on that list. I do. Constantly. There's a lot more I should have on that list, but I'm making a point here, that I hope you're getting. We all do things every day that we don't feel like doing.
 
What's the point? Just because you don't FEEL like doing something doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it. Feelings are not a good indicator of whether or not you should do something. If we only did what we felt like doing, this world stop in about 3 days. Because no one would go to work.
 
The application? Realize that in your life, today and every day until you die, there will always be things that you should do, even if you don't feel like it. Here's the trick- and maybe my friend was on to something- we can choose to tell ourselves that we want to do it. That we like to do it, and even go so far as to declare that we are excited about doing all those things that we don't feel like doing.
 
Here's what will happen. You will find that usually the times that you are feeling the most like not doing something, God will use that opportunity to show you something about Him or yourself that will be a blessing. Its amazing how many times I have seen people who, out of pure obedience, do what they are supposed to do, not what they want to do, and God blesses them for it.
 
Try it this week. Do all those things that you don't want to do, that you should be doing and watch the blessings that pour into your life- you'll be amazed.
 
Be blessed
pastor matt.

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment