Friday, October 1, 2010

Should You Pass on Grass?

When I was child, I lived in North Seattle near the neighborhood of Phinney Ridge. On the corner of 65th and Greenwood there was a house that we would pass every so often that I was thinking about this week.
 
In front of that house, in the place where people would usually plant grass seed, the owner had poured concrete and painted it green. As a child, I thought this was a really cool thing. I remember saying to myself that when I was an adult, that was what I was going to do. Have green painted concrete in front of my house instead of grass. Apparently when you're 9 years old you don't have the foresight to realize that one day you'll be married, and that your wife won't agree with something dumb like that.
 
So what do you do? You end up planting grass seed like I did last Monday. We had an area of our lawn that was a planting area, and we wanted grass there, so I had to get a 1/2 yard of dirt, put it in there, and plant some grass seed. I don't know the last time you schlepped some dirt, so let me remind you, it is not easy work. Its dirty and painful. With every shovel full, I thought about that green concrete and how much easier that would be than worrying about some grass.
 
That being the situation, all week long I've been focusing on that patch of dirt that has a bunch of grass seeds buried in it. Every morning and night I'm wetting it and watching it for any signs of growth. I know, its been 5 days, so I shouldn't be expecting much, but welcome to my world.
 
Patience isn't my strongest suit.
 
In my world, if you plant something it should start to grow before the day is over. I've done the work, set it in place, so I should see some results, right? Wrong. The way God set it up is that when you plant anything in the ground, it always takes time to see results. Its never immediate and always requires a measure of patience.
 
I don't like waiting. I don't like wondering. I want things to happen fast and my grass is no different.
 
But here's the deal- God has a way of teaching me something about myself during times such as these. I know that grass isn't earth shattering, but there is a life lesson in it for me. God is teaching me patience as I wait for the grass to grow.
 
Looking back, I can see now that more than likely that guy with the green concrete took the easy route- he didn't plant any seed. He probably wasn't willing to do the work necessary to work at getting some grass growing, or having the patience to watch it grow, and in the process might have missed out on something that God could have taught him through the process. Too bad for him.
 
Is there something in your life that you're taking the easy route and putting in painted green concrete instead of planting seed and letting God take his time? Have you gotten frustrated because things weren't happening fast enough, so now your pushing to make it your way faster?
 
Green lush grass wins over hard green concrete every time. The question is if you're willing to pay the price of patience to get that reward.
 
I am, and apparently the new owner of that house in North Seattle is too. I drove by there recently. No more concrete, now there is grass.
 
Be blessed.
pastor matt

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed this post - made me think about the things I thought were cool or "instant" as a kid. Wow. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete