Friday, October 22, 2010

Attacked By A Flesh Eating Spider?

I hate spiders. Now, when I say hate, this isn't a "I hate Lima beans" kind of hate, this is like a, I hate getting stuck in the eye with a sharp stick kind of hate. I know they are a part of the ecosystem that God has created, but I wouldn't care if they were eradicated from the earth. I HATE them.
 
They are so creepy crawly hairy little urchins, and for some reason, they've been everywhere lately. I've seen big ones, and small ones, and everything in between. I've been walking through spider webs outside. It seems like my life is being infiltrated with the little buggers. They just give me the heebie jeebies.
 
When I see them, I get a bit worked up. I am always reminded of movies like Arachnophobia when I see them, and think about their ability to kill at will. I don't know if you know this, but all spiders are highly venomous and regardless of size, can attack from far distances, put venom in your eyes, and then render you incapacitated, at which point, they began to feed on your flesh until you die. Or at least that's how I feel about them.
 
Here's what is crazy though- as scared as I am about spiders, I have never been bit by one. Ever. I've been stung by bees many times, but I'm not afraid of them. Why is it that I am deathly afraid of a spider, when I have never been bit by one?
 
Perhaps I have an irrational fear of something in my life that isn't connected with reality. Maybe they aren't as dangerous as I think.
 
What about you? What is there in your life that is an irrational fear? Something that you are afraid of that isn't grounded in reality? Something that you allow to consume you that has never come to pass, that keeps you in bondage? Sure, it may not be  spiders, but there is probably something that you fear that you shouldn't that keeps you from growing. A fear that isn't grounded in reality.
 
I know I shouldn't be afraid of spiders, but I am. Yesterday I had to get under my stairs, and there were some spiders in there. I saw them, I didn't want to go in there. I even went so far as to ask Crystal to go in there for me, but she told me to man up and get in there and do it myself. So I did, and I lived.
 
Today, ask the Lord what irrational fears that you have in your life. The things that you are afraid of that have never happened, that are not grounded in reality. The things that consume your mind that keep you from doing what you need to do.
 
Pray and ask him to be with you as your face that fear and move forward in your life. Let today be the last day that you stay in bondage to that fear. Spiders are one thing, but if you have a fear that keeps you from being in relationship with other people, or from growing spiritually, you can't live. God never intended for you to walk in fear.
 
God has not given you a spirit of fear, but a sound mind. Don't walk in fear. Walk in victory!
 
be blessed
pastor matt

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment