Friday, October 8, 2010

A Huge Hill of Beans?

Does it really matter? I ask myself this question often. I probably should ask it of myself more frequently than I already do. Sometimes I 'lose it' with my kids over things that are really not that important, but for some reason, because of my own pitfalls, I get upset. Or should I say, I allow myself and choose to get upset.
 
A good example would be last night when the kids spilled the mouthwash in the bathroom for the second consecutive night. Yes, the world did not stop turning on its axis, it was just mouthwash, but for a guy like me, it set me off a little bit. Not a lot, but enough that if you were standing there watching me you would think, "Seriously Pastor Matt?".
 
Yes. Seriously. I have been known to 'lose it' over mouthwash, dog slobber, un-attended glasses of ice water, unclosed bags of cereal, and lack of urgency to think of a few. I pray and ask constantly that I would not be this way, but alas, at times it seems that I am doomed to a life of annoyances that bother only me.
 
The interesting part is that because of this glaring personality pitfall of my own, I have become very adept at pointing out this character flaw in my fellow man. Its curious how the things I hate most about myself I am so wonderfully able to see in others and condemn them for the same acts that I abhor about myself. I don't think I'm alone on this one. There are many people who have the ability to point out flaws in others. Sometimes they realize its their same flaw, other times they don't. Watch the world around you, we all do this constantly.
 
When I fly on a plane, there is always someone who gets upset about the process. I often think about going up to that person and reminding them that we are traveling at 600mph in the sky, not on covered wagon, hence, they should get a grip, get some perspective. When I'm in a checkout line I always want to tell the angry person behind me in line that if they had somewhere to be, they shouldn't have came to the store. When people get upset they have to wait in a long line at the all you can eat buffet, I want to tell them, well, you get the point.
 
This has been a interesting week for me. Its given me some more perspective into what truly matters. What I should care about and what I should not. The things I get upset about have no bearing on who I am, who I love, and who loves me. They are my issues and no one elses. Therefore, I should get a grip and quit being such a tool box.
 
Do you lose it? Do you get upset over dumb stuff? Do you allow yourself to get worked up over something that if you really thought about it quite pointless and stupid?
 
Join the club. So do I. But today, and days after this, I don't want to be this way. I don't want to 'lose it'. I have a great life. I am blessed. Getting upset over something that doesn't matter because of my own issues benefits no one.
 
I'm positive that God doesn't look down on me and get upset that I wasn't on time, the dog ran over my new grass seed, the kids were not in bed at a reasonable hour, I missed my workout, or that the iron was left sitting on a wooden table laying flat and water leaked all over it.
 
Lets have some perspective today. Lets catch ourselves before we 'lose it' and choose to not get upset. Most of what we get upset about doesn't amount to a hill of beans.
 
Be blessed
matt
ps. For my Facebookers- what pointless thing do you get upset about that you wish you didn't?

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment