Thursday, June 16, 2011

I Did Something Yesterday I've Never Done Before in My Life

Ice_cream

Yesterday was my "carb day" on my eating plan. I wont go into great detail, but on certain days, I allow myself to consume desserts and such, and yesterday was one of those days. 

We have church on Wednesdays, and somehow, we have got into the habit of getting ice cream after service. Obviously, the kids love it, so it happens quite often. This can get a bit expensive. 

By our church there is a Dairy Queen. To get cones for 4 people at DQ is close to 8 dollars, and recently, we have noticed that the creation of the treats have been slightly inconsistent. I'm a guy who wants as much as he can get for his ice cream dollar, so I've been disappointed when its inconsistent. 

Last night, I had an epiphany. At the McDonalds by our house, a vanilla cone is only 50 cents. I calculated that if I ordered two cones, that I would be ensured to get the absolute most out of my ice cream dollar. I'm was pretty sure that buying 2 cones for a dollar would give me more ice cream than one cone at 1.89.  We decided to try the theory out. 

As we pulled into the drive through last night, we were all giggling when Crystal told the guy "8 cones please". We got to the window and he said that was the biggest order for cones that he had ever seen. 

We're trendsetters. We got an abundance of ice cream for just over four dollars. 

Who would have thought that buying two smalls would equal one big for less than the price of medium? I'm changing the world of ice cream folks, I'm the John D. Rockafeller of Ice Cream I tell ya. 

This is a spiritual blog with spiritual truths and here's what I got for you today- Sometimes its okay to get two cones. 

Let me explain- I think the reason that people only get one cone is that the vast majority of Americans have been conditioned to believe that one cone is allowed. You get one cone and that's it. You find a size, you find a cone and that's it. 

People think because that's what they see, that is what is allowed. The truth is that you can ask for as many cones as you want. 

This translates to people's spiritual lives too. They think there are limits with God. They think that He is a one cone God because they have never asked for two cones. They see everyone else getting one cone so they figure that's all they can get. 

God has far more than two cones. His cone supply is unlimited. 

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that just because everyone else is getting one cone that that is all that is available. Sometimes, you just have to ask for the extra cone. 

Mediate on that today. Have you been limiting God? Have you fallen into the 'one cone' mentality instead of thinking bigger? God has the ability to bless you abundantly, but often we limit Him because of our own perceptions, not because of who He really is. 

Sometimes its okay to ask for two cones. 

Be blessed
pastor matt

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

2 comments:

  1. for some reason this reminded me of my advice to my little brother's... hold out until you fall madly in love with a girl...don't settle. :D

    ReplyDelete