Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I Got Motivated- You Should Too!

Are you a 'motivated' person? I found a definition of motivated- 'provided with a motive or given incentive for action'. I think that's a pretty good definition. Motivation is a good thing. When it comes to the things in our life that truly matter, it is important that we are looking for motivation to get to action in our lives. 

Yesterday I went to a "Get Motivated" seminar at the Showare Center in Kent. Its put on by a guy named Peter Lowe, and they have been doing it for many years now. What happens is that they get together a bunch of famous people to give speeches that are supposed to get you motivated (they also try to sell you some stuff-but not much). 

The event was amazing. I got to hear General Colin Powell, Laura Bush, Steve Forbes, Brian Tracy, Krish Dahnam and BIll Cosby. There were some fantastic insights that all of these people brought to the table. But of course, as with most things, there is always a favorite. 

I absolutely loved listening to Bill Cosby. I think that guy is hilarious! He talked for about a half hour about next to nothing. He talked about Camille, He talked about his kids. He talked about a friend from Walla Walla Washington. It was funny to listen to him, but as he was speaking, I kept thinking to myself, "what does this have to do with motivation, I'm just laughing". Throughout his speech, he never really got to his point- He kind of rambled from story to story. 

The only thing he said about motivation in his whole time of speaking was "Why are you here? Why aren't you motivated"? It was really funny- and kind of uncomfortable at the same time- you could hear the crowd's nervous laugh as they realized the simplicity of his statement and wondered to themselves what the answer was. 

I heard statesmen and business leaders and all I remember is Bill Cosby asking in the middle of a comedy set "why aren't you motivated". 

It begs the question though- why aren't you? What is holding you back from moving forward in that one area that you can't seem to get started on. Do you not have a motive to take action? No incentive? I can't give you a motive or an incentive, but I can challenge you to think and find one for yourself. If you would take the time to sit and think for a minute about what you would like to change, find a motive or incentive, I think you'll get motivated. 

Here's the deal- talk is cheap. Action pays the bills. If you spend more time talking than moving you're just flapping your gums. You can read books, go to seminars, do whatever, but at the end of the day you have to take ACTION. You have to start doing something. 

Take action today. Do something to move you in the right direction. You'll find that you'll be better off for it. 

Get motivated. Stay motivated. 

be blessed
pastor matt

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment