Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Use the Hot Sauce go to Jail?

A 'how to' of disciplining children is an activity that has been discussed through every generation. Why? Because the world keeps producing children and they have been, and will always be unruly and in need of being reigned in. That's why people who write books on child rearing do so well. Parents are always looking for ways to better discipline their children.
 
Here's a story about a lady who is getting in trouble with the law for using hot sauce on the tongue as a training tool for her kids- you can read it here- http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20110131/lf_ac/7746304_mothers_hot_sauce_discipline_tactics_land_her_in_hot_water I'm not saying I agree with her 100% for what she did or how she does it, read the story and make your own conclusion. Its an interesting story. Raises some good questions.
 
As a child, by my mothers hand, I was spanked with a wooden spoon. I had my teeth brushed with liquid soap. I got "the chicken neck"- which was a grab of flesh my mother used to do under my brother and I's chin to get our complete attention when we were being disrespectful. I was put on restriction. I was told no. I was not allowed to talk back. I was forced to do chores. All of that, and somehow I turned out okay and never have sat in the back of a police car.
 
I think learning to discipline children is an important step in being a good parent. I think some parents are way too lenient with their children. You can't reason with a 3 year old. They don't understand a 'talking to'. They understand swat on the diaper holder. In my experience, the parents who do not exercise their God-given authority over the God designed seat cushion that we all posses, will suffer long term consequences of unruly behavior in the future. Call me archaic. I think this method works with young children.
 
Here's the main point- parent or not- No matter what our age, people don't like limitations and order. From the time we are children we desire to do what we want when we want. When someone tells us not to do it, we get upset, and if we don't learn as a child that there are limits to what you are allowed to do, we will become over indulgent self-serving adults who expect the world to serve us.
 
This is not good. God loves us and desires for us to love him. In that relationship, there is the greatest measure of freedom that one could experience. But in that freedom is a call to self-discipline that we must embrace. If we were not disciplined as a child, I think this is harder as an adult to embrace self-discipline.
 
If you're a parent- do yourself a favor and discipline your children- As Proverbs 13:24 reads-"Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them". There is nothing wrong with setting limits on your children. In the long run they will love you and appreciate you for the discipline. They are not your friend. They do not have to 'like you'. Discipline them now and in the long run they will love and respect you more for it.
 
What was your discipline like as a child? Too much or not enough? I'd love to hear your comments and thoughts.
 
Be blessed
pastor matt

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment