Tuesday, February 8, 2011

What It Is Like To Eat The Beth's 12 Egg Omelette

Have you ever heard of a place called Beth's Cafe in Seattle Washington? It has been featured on the televisions shows "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" and "Man v. Food". The reason Beth's Cafe has been featured is because they serve an omelet that contains 12 eggs. Its enormous and indulgent. Most people order it to share with a friend or 3. It more food than one person should eat in a sitting.
 
When you order it, it comes with your choice of stuff to go inside, a heap of hash browns, and toast. The hash browns are all you can eat, if that isn't enough food for you.
 
Yesterday, we went there with some friends from church and some out of town guests from Mississippi. We figured that Beths' would be a place that would personify the Seattle experience- Old, Loud, Crayon drawings, good coffee and huge omelets. I've only eaten there one other time in my life, so when it came up as a place to go, I agreed.
 
The guy I was with encouraged me to get the 12 egger. He said we could both eat them and see who could finish it. I had heard about the 12 before, but never ate it. So yesterday I thought I would try.
 
Initially when they bring you the tray the meal is served on, the portion looks daunting. I like eggs. I like hash browns, but about half way through that thing it ceases to have the same level of culinary satisfaction that it did in the first 50 or so bites. My approach was to start at one end of the plate and work my way across- taking equal portions of egg and potato. Eventually I worked it down to where there was about 1/4 of the order left.
 
There was a man who had came over to our table and took a picture of my meal before I started eating it, so i thought this would be a great time to go introduce myself, and stretch my legs. I went over to his table and said "The Lord told me you're from Arkansas".
 
The man looked at me like I was looking into his soul. Then I said, "or your hat told me".
 
We had a great laugh, but our conversation was short lived. I returned to the plate, and forced down the last little bit of cold eggs and browns. I did it. I ate the whole thing.
 
Now, I know that it was gluttonous. I know it was indulgent. But for some reason, I wanted to eat the whole thing. I had heard about it since I was child growing up in Seattle and I wanted to see if I could do it. I could.
 
I was laying in bed this morning thinking about what spiritual ramifications that a story such as this. I found two.
 
1. Over indulgence of anything is bad. Moderation is the key.
 
2. Luke 11:11-13 "Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”
 
Sure this isn't a huge spiritual blog today. But I figured you would like to hear about the omelet and see some pics
 
Be Blessed
pastor matt

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

1 comment:

  1. The last time I ate at Beth's Cafe I was in college. Our waitress served my breakfast with a cigarette in her hand. "Yes, I'd like the 12 egg omelet with a side of cigarette ash please."

    ReplyDelete