Friday, February 4, 2011

Would You Like Some Extra Money?

Heard a great story this morning that I wanted to share with you. It's pretty neat.
 
At my friends work, there is a guy whose wife is dying of cancer. Its not going well at all. Well, because of the situation, a lot of the guys at work are chipping in to take this guys shifts so he can be at home with his wife during this time. Its an awesome gesture. To take someone elses shift for them, not get paid for it, allow the guy to get paid, so he can get time with his wife during a horrific time.
 
If only everyone could work at a place that made that feasible. Its a special situation, but great none the less. I'm not sure how many people I would know that would step up to work for someone without pay, but there are guys doing it. Love in action.
 
So there was a shift that needed to be covered, and my friend took it for this guy. The reason why? My friend told me that he didn't know what the future held in his life, and he knew if something like that was in his life, he sure would love for people to step up and take care of him. So he did it.
 
Here's where it gets good. With no expectation. With no hope. With no demand. He got a totally unexpected overtime shift.
 
Now I'm not sure how your finances are or how you make money, but I don't know many people who would look down on a opportunity to make a few extra frog skins. For people who need or want the extra, the opportunity to get it is a blessing. And in a career field where overtime isn't a normal thing, its a huge blessing.
 
This is what I love about it- My friend loves God. He serves him diligently with a pure heart. He loves and serves people because its the right thing to do. He served this guy in the midst of his despair, not because he wanted a blessing, not because he hoped he could make some extra money because of it. He did it because it was the right thing to do, and indirectly he got a blessing from it.
 
I share that story as an encouragement today. Sometimes I think we forget that God is watching us, that he knows what we're doing and where we are at. Other people may not pay attention to what you do for others, but God knows. God sees.
 
Think about that today as you go about. Look for opportunities to bless other people and watch what happens in your own life. I would expect that at some point its going to come back around to you, and you'll be on the receiving end of a blessing.
 
Be blessed today. Go love on someone.
 
pastor matt

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment