Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Greatest Marriage Proposal Ever- (Video Incl)

I'm married. When I asked Crystal to marry me, we were sitting in a car outside a restaurant about to have dinner with our families. It wasn't that exciting. Not a lot of work went into it. I was going to do something really cool, but I was in the Army, living in the barracks, with no car, time or money. It is what it is. She said yes.

Now, this other guy named Matt did a completely awesome job of asking his girl to marry him. Its so totally completely over the top. <SPOILER ALERT> In the video he asks her, and she says yes. 

Watch the video- 

As I was watching this I was thinking how hard that guy must have worked to make that video. The amount of time that he invested and how hard he worked. The cynic in me woke up this morning and thought "I wonder if this is a fake video made by Ford to showcase their car". Its that good of a video. So good it must be fake. 

Fake or not, here's my take on it, and I'm sorry if it seems like I'm kicking over their bucket. I've been married for almost 13 years. Its not that long, but its long enough to realize this- marriage is hard work. It doesn't come easy. There have been good times and bad and through it all I've realized what a commitment it is to cultivate the relationship once you're hitched. Its seriously like having a second job. 

I wonder if this guy will go to this level of commitment 10 years into the marriage.  I wonder when they get in a fight over the temperature of the bedroom or are faced with disease in their home that he'll be willing to work this hard to keep it together. 

My guess is yes, but my real point is this- marriage is not about a proposal or a wedding. Courting is short. Proposals are short. Weddings are short. Marriages are long. 

The way that marriages work is that you work on them. You don't give up. You don't settle. You are willing to do what is necessary to meet the other person's needs. If I was this guys friend, and 9 years into it he's losing steam, I'd show him that video and tell him to make another one to show her how special she is. 

Here's the spiritual application today- did you just have a wedding with Jesus or are you married to Him? Did you get really excited about the proposal and the wedding, but now that you've been together for a while its not as exciting? 

Relationships are work. They don't come easy. They take the investment of energy and time to be able to flourish. If you're not investing energy or time into the relationship it will falter and cease to be enriching. 

Check your heart today- what relationships do you have that have become stagnant that you need to put some energy into? What can you do to make it better? Because sooner or later, time creeps up on you and you realize that you're no longer doing the same passionate things you were doing at the beginning. And it were those passionate things that made the relationship awesome. 

Be blessed
pastor matt

2 comments: