Thursday, February 18, 2010

Dont Worry About What People Think Too Much

I think we all do it at some level. We worry about what someone is going to think or say about what we do or say. Sure, we should have some measure of restraint as we deal with our daily lives, but to live in such a way that we constantly are worried about what other people think, can be detrimental.

I do it. I think about what I wear, what I say, what I don't say. How people will perceive something I write on this blog, or something I preach. Its common. I'm sure other people do it at times.

What I think happens, is that inherently, we as people want people to like us. When we think about what we are doing, we filter that through the 'like-o-meter' and if we perceive that someone may not like us, we adjust what we do.

Here's the kicker though- most people are so consumed with their own issues and hang ups that they don't have the time or energy to be consumed with yours. They spend their own energy and time thinking about their own worries, they really don't care that much about yours.

I want to make this clear- I'm not saying that we shouldn't care what people think, because then we can run the risk of being a person who hurts others because we are so self centered. I am saying that we should not be so overly concerned with it to the point that it inhibits us, or keeps us from being who we think that God has called us to be.

Here's the nugget for the day. Be yourself. Don't be who people want you to be, or who you think they want you to be. Its hard to keep up appearances, its easier to to just let them find out who you really are, and then love you for that.

Think about that today. Remind yourself during the day if you are doing something because of how you want people to think about you. Don't let it consume you, but realize that you can honor God by being you (while loving people), and not becoming what you think others think you should be.

Blessings
matt

No comments:

Post a Comment