Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Great Place to Place Your Trust

Its been said that trust is easy to lose, hard to gain. If you've been around longer than a day, you've probably seen that in your own life. Either by losing the trust that someone had in you, or someone you had trust in that you no longer trust.

When that happens, its usually because of what someone did or did not do. What they said or did not say. The promise they kept or broke. We've all been there, on the receiving end, and the giving end.

I know I've let a lot of people down in my life. Promises that I've made that I broke. Secrets given to me that I shared. Things I've said that were hurtful. Things I didn't say when I should have. Times when I should have showed up and I didn't. I can look back on my life and think of numerous times when I didn't make the mark, and in the process, lost the trust of someone. A painful exercise, but its true.

We all want to trust people, and we have all been hurt when we've trusted people. Its the human condition. I would say it is a part of us that makes us inherently human. The ability to gain and lose trust.

Here's another side of it though- some people place too much trust in other people. They expect another person to meet all of their emotional and spiritual needs. They place them on a pedestal that is so high, that when they fall even the slightest bit, the impact crushes the other persons perception of them.

Putting your trust in God is the best way to ensure that you are not hurt as often. Yes, trust people, but with a constant awareness that people are fallible creatures that are not perfect. They are people who mess up and foul up most things they get themselves into. Even Peter denied Christ.

Whats the nugget? Give those people who let you down a bit of grace and learn to trust God more than man. He wont let you down, but people always will. Love people. Trust people, but remember when they fail you, the best thing to look at is a mirror, because more than likely you've broken trust before also.

I like this Bible verse- Psalm 56:4 In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?

When you learn to trust in God more, you can handle the failures of people better.

Be blessed
matt

No comments:

Post a Comment