Friday, February 26, 2010

What I learned in US Army over 6 years, You can Learn in 3 mins.

I was in the Military. For 6 years. It was an experience to say the least. While in the military, there is a ton of stuff that you learn. Like shining boots, waxing floors, and keeping your mouth shut. Actually, I could probably write a blog a day for a year about the things I learned in the Army.

Here's one for you today- when I was in the Army, we learned a key phrase, it was called 'missing movement'. Now for some people that may have some different connotations, but for us, it meant, if the convoy leaves, and you're not there. You're toast.

Here's how it works- you're in a unit. In this unit there can be 30 to 300 people. At planned times throughout the year, you go to 'the field'. Which means, you pack up every last thing that you have ever been issued in the Army, throw it in a Humvee (or whatever type of vehicle that you are assigned) and drive out into the middle of no where and train.

Usually, they plan to leave for these Government sponsored camping trips at about 4 in the morning. You line up all the vehicles, and you all drive out to the training area together. As a team, in convoy. If you don't make it in time, its called "missing movement". If that happens, they take your rank, your pay, and you have to perform extra duty for 15-45 days. It sucks.

This is what you learn from that- don't ever be late for anything. Ever. If you have a time that you have to be somewhere. You are there early, not on time. On time is late.

For some odd reason, the Army doesn't take well to "I overslept" or "my car wouldn't start" or " I really wasn't feeling that well". If you really want to get ol' Uncle Sam mad, don't show up at all. They'll not only take your pay and time, you could do some time. Seriously, you can go to jail for not showing up to work.

Here's what you learn in the Army, being late affects everyone, not just you. When you are late it is for no other reason than your decisions leading up to being late made you late. Not circumstance itself.

I'm not late because I woke up late. I'm late because I chose to go to bed late and not get up when my alarm went off. I chose to lay there and listen to my wave machine for 10 more minutes than to get up.

What's the nugget? I like this bible verse- Proverbs 20:25 (The Message) 25 An impulsive vow is a trap; later you'll wish you could get out of it.

Don't be late. Don't make commitments you don't intend to keep. Don't blame it on circumstance. Own up to what role you had to play. You made choices and those choices included being late.

Blessings!
matt

1 comment:

  1. Hope Emily reads this one. She is always wondering why I leave to worship practice, or anywhere else half an hour early... 15 minutes early is on time!!!

    ReplyDelete