Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My Birthday Is Over

Yesterday was fantastic. It was my birthday. I turned 35 years old. I think I may be getting a bit older.

Some reasons I think I may be getting older:

1. Things seem a bit loud to me at times.
2. I think that 'kids' are disrespectful and then realize that they are high schoolers.
3. I'm choosing cereal based on the fiber content, not the toy in the box.
4. When in a store to buy something, people are more often calling me 'sir'.
5. I'm exercising for health, not for looks.
6. I used to hate going to bed and loved getting up, now I love going to bed and hate getting up.

Those are just a few I came up with. Getting old is fine with me. I'm looking forward to grey hair. I think I'll look pretty sweet with it.

It was great yesterday- got a lot of birthday wishes, was able to eat a few donuts, a slurpee, and went out to my favorite restaurant for dinner (Buca di Beppo). It doesn't get much better than that.

Here's the deal- I must admit, I kinda liked the bit of attention on my birthday. Its nice to feel loved. Its nice to have a day that is just about me. Where I can do what I want and have what I want. A day when people go out of their way to make me feel special.

Here's the flip side though. There are 364 other days of the year when its not about me. Those are the days when it has to be about everyone else. Sometimes I wonder if people get that number backwards- they think every day is about them, and not about others.

You have the choice- either you can live your life consumed with yourself, or consumed with others. The interesting part of it is that when you spend your life consumed with others, you in turn are able to be blessed for yourself. Its paradoxical, but its true. God set it up that way- lose your life to find it.

It may not the birthday of someone you love today, but you can still go out of your way to make them feel special. Give them a call, send them a note, drop by with a gift. The love that you give to other people always comes back to you.

Also- remember its not all about you. You get a day here and there- but don't be consumed with getting all of your own needs met everyday. Go meet some other people's needs, and yours will get met in the midst of it.

Be blessed today. Thanks for all the birthday wishes.

matt

1 comment:

  1. You're loved all 365 :) I'm glad to hear you had such a great day. Bucca di Beppo rocks!

    ReplyDelete