Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Don't be Known As a Hi-Jacker

I don't necessarily love flying on planes. I love going on planes, because I know that they are taking me somewhere fun, but the actual process of being on the plane I don't love. I've got to be honest, even before 9-11 I always wondered about hi-jackings on planes.

I think it started. when I was a kid. When I was about 5 they had that group of hostages from a hijacked plane that had been in captivity for quite a while. I remember watching it on TV. From then on, I always thought about that when I was on a plane.

Little did I know that usually planes aren't hi-jacked flying from SeaTac to Spokane (Minus D.B. Cooper) or LAX. Either way, I've never been on a hi-jacked plan, and I would really rather not ever be.

Hi-jackers take control over a plane and re chart its course for their own selfish means. They don't care who is affected, or what happens. They demand to have their way, and threaten people to get it.

Here's what we're talking about today- there are people out there (possibly you) who constantly hi-jack conversations. You know what I mean, its when you call or come up to talk to someone about something and they take control over the conversation and make it about them. You may come up and want to talk about an issue, and they turn it around to talk about their issue.

I'd like to offer some free advice. If you do this to people, stop it. Let the person who initiated the conversation get what they need out of it. Maybe you'll get yours, but maybe not. That's okay. You may become more aware of this happening, but you cannot control what other people do. You can control what you do.

Hi-jacking a plane or a conversation is not nice. Don't do it. Learn to pay attention to when a person calls you, or approaches you and be aware that they may need their emotional cup filled. It comes back to one of my favorite bible verses that says "be slow to speak and quick to listen".

This a hard process to learn, but as we do, we will be more fruitful in our relationships, and our lives.

Be blessed
matt

No comments:

Post a Comment