Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Free Band-Aids and Open Heart Surgery! Thank You?

If you read my blog, you're on the Internet. If you're on the Internet you see the news- Obamacare is upon us. After a year of wrestling and wrangling it appears as if the health care reform that President Obama and Congress has been working on will be signed into law today.

Let me make this clear before I even begin to share my two cents today- I'm not sure on which side of the issue I stand. Therefore- please read thoroughly before attacking this post. Comments are surely welcome today, as this is an issue that affects every last American.

I am a Christian. I love God and people and do my best to try and live by the Bible. When stack ranking the things of importance in my life, my relationship with Jesus is on the top. Family comes in second, and everything else is, well, everything else. When I look at this health care bill, I still look at it through that paradigm. I understand that's a limited paradigm, but that's how I live my life. As simple as possible.

The arguments as I see them from both sides are quite simple. The people for it say it helps people and the economy. The people against it say it hurts people and the economy.

Here's what I know- not much. Its a 2700 page bill that costs about a trillion dollars that will provide insurance to about 35 million Americans. That's about 31 thousand dollars for each person insured.

Do we all need insurance? Should we all have to pay for it? Is it a right, or is it a privilege? As with most big things, do the ends justify the means?

For example- The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have cost us about 974B- close to a trillion dollars. Which trillion would be better spent, war? Or Health care?

If you're looking for answers in today's blog I'm not sure if you're going to find them. But here's a great passage of scripture that could help.

Luke 20:20-25.Keeping a close watch on him, they sent spies, who pretended to be honest. They hoped to catch Jesus in something he said so that they might hand him over to the power and authority of the governor. So the spies questioned him: "Teacher, we know that you speak and teach what is right, and that you do not show partiality but teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. Is it right for us to pay taxes to Caesar or not?" He saw through their duplicity and said to them, "Show me a denarius. Whose portrait and inscription are on it?"

"Caesar's," they replied. He said to them, "Then give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's."

There are two owners of my money- God and the government. I have money because God has blessed me with it, but those bills are owned by the US Government. When it comes to my finances there are a few things I must keep in mind.

1. Can I still worship God freely?
2. Will my family still eat?

If I can answer those two questions yes, then whatever else is, is. I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of every last thing on this earth. I can't control taxes or laws. I must live under their control.

So what do I do? Keep the main things the main things. Obamacare is what it is. If I like it or not is irrelevant. I'm going to be affected by it if I like it or not, so I should remember what the main priorities are in my life and keep on moving forward.

Be blessed today. Keep some perspective.

matt

1 comment:

  1. Nice post Matt. I am on the fence as well. Part of me is concerned that the government does very little well, thus my concern. Right or privilege is really the big question. I get concerned that we are now the USSA, government controlling the banking system, and now has a large hand in health care. Ironic that Obama heads right out for a smoke after he gets the legislation signed.

    ReplyDelete