Wednesday, March 17, 2010

What If They Outlawed Donuts?

If you know me, you know I love donuts. I never met a fritter I didn't like. Come to think of it, except for filled donuts, there isn't many donuts I don't like. I love them all.

You may find it hard to believe, but I don't actually eat that many donuts. That is, I don't eat alot of donuts on successive days. I may eat a few of them in one sitting, but I dont go and get donuts that often. Maybe only once a week, or every other week depending.

Why don't I eat them every day? Because I know if I did, I would become a large man who resembles the donuts that I desire. I realize that the daily consumption of donuts would increase my caloric intake to the point of me gaining weight, and probably clogging my arteries.

Donuts are not healthy. Donuts are not good for you. Donuts have close to zero nutritional value.

But man, are they good.

I found this article about the Sony chairman talking about healthy food in theatres you can read it here. In the article he says that he wants to reduce the buttery popcorn at movies to "fight obesity in America".

Seriously? That's why we're overweight? Its all that popcorn?

I go to the movies about 2 times a year and maybe I'll get some popcorn. Why? because I know that popcorn with tons of butter is bad for me. Therefore, I don't eat it every day.

Here's my rant today- It frustrates me when the government tries to legislate healthy living. Part of the freedom that we are allowed in America is the freedom to choose. Sometimes those choices are not the best for us, but we are entitled to them.

If I want to have a donut, I can have one by golly. What if they start to legislate caffeine? Then you would really see an uproar.

Here's my point- you can't force someone to do something just because you feel as though it would be best for them. People must weigh the options, and the facts and then choose what is right for them. Yes, they may choose the wrong thing, but that wrong thing may have consequences for which they will pay for. You can't legislate what people will eat.

What's next, bacon?

I believe in free-will (sorry my Calvinist friends). I believe that God has created this world in such a way that we have the ability to choose what we will do or not do. Those choices have impact on our lives, either positive or negative. Blessings or curses. If we make wrong choices, we may be effected negatively by them, but we do them knowing what those are.

What's the nugget? Make good choices today. Make choices that you know will help you not hurt you. Make choices that you know will honor God and bless your life. The choices that you make today, dictate the future of your tomorrow. Make sure that you can live with the choices you make, no matter how big or small.

Be blessed
matt

3 comments:

  1. Well said. Looking back one can start to see similarities between the 1910s that built up to prohibition and this process today. In fact, with a little imagination one can draw parallels between the affect of prohibition and our future. For example, "speakeasys" would be replaced with "eateasys", "moon shine" runners would be "pork rind" runners, "boot legging" would be "juice kegging", "rum running" would be "crumb running" and the "ATF" would be renamed the "ATFAT" (Alcohol, tobacco, firearms and tooth decay).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you up to a point...but I do think the government needs to remove the garbage food from our schools. Our kids are choosing between bad food or junk food at a time when the schools are also cutting back on PE and school sports. They are classifying ketchup and the tomato sauce on pizza as a vegetable for goodness sakes! We have a generation of kids who are growing up obese and unhealthy. We can say its up to the parents to teach good eating habits...but after raising kids I can tell you that peer pressure at lunch time is going to over ride whatever your child may know about nutrition! NO kid wants to be teased and/or left out at that all important time of the school day! They will conform... If our taxes are paying for those lunches, shouldn't we have some say in what is provided? Our kids spend a huge chunk of their time in school and what happens there has a big influence on their lives. Our schools should be held to a higher standard when it comes to providing nutrition to our kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe in free will, too. Even when totally predestined fate would be so much easier.

    Having trouble making choices like I do and wanted so badly to do the right thing can be crippling in the face of knowing I can't always be perfect. Of course, I know full well what they do to perfect people on this planet.

    ReplyDelete