Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A Character Trait That Could Send You to Hell?

I don't want to go to hell. It doesn't sound fun there. Laps in the lake of fire sound like they would hurt. Especially if it were for eternity. I think that would get old really fast. I want to go to heaven.

Some guys from church came over last night for some bible study and BBQ and we were looking at a scripture verse that I want to share with you today. Its from the Book of Matthew chapter 5-

21"You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' 22But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca,' is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell.

That's a pretty powerful statement about getting angry isn't it? Jesus is saying in this verse that if you are angry with someone you're in trouble. Then he says if you call someone a fool, you could be on your way to hell.

Wow. Pretty challenging stuff isn't it?

Here's the deal- I get angry at times. Traffic, kids, people, lack of donuts, etc. I can get angry with the best of them. But here's what I get from this verse- God doesn't like me getting angry at my fellow man. Its not something that he desires for my life. When he looks down on what type of life he wants me to be living, the life that he desires for me is a life devoid of anger.

There is a silver lining here. The grace of God through Jesus Christ covers me and the judgment I deserve. Through him, I am able to be forgiven of my anger, and make heaven. Praise God.

But here's the other part, even though I may be forgiven from it, to what benefit is it for me to live a life with anger and frustration? If Jesus talked about anger with such dire consequences, couldn't I assume that God really really doesn't like it when we're angry people who are angry with each other? Anger is not a good thing.

Here's the nugget for today. Walk in the forgiveness that comes through Jesus Christ, but realize that if you are a person who lives a life full of anger, its not, according to this scripture, something that God desires for your life.

God desires that you would live your life with love and forgiveness. With a passion for other people that manifests itself with a spirit of acceptance and peace. Don't live your life angry. Its to no benefit.

Love some people.

Be blessed
matt

2 comments:

  1. If we are angry with a fellow man or woman, we are angry with someone Jesus died for. Have you ever had someone talk ill about someone you love, like a farther or mother. Personally, I do not have the best opinions about my father, but I sure don't like it when someone talks ill of him! How much more does God love each of us?! And when we are angry with someone else, we are angry with someone Jesus loved so much that He died for them. Some food for thought!

    Keep up the good work Pastor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good word Pastor, We all get angry at times the reason be not keeping up with our pray life,in paraphrasing the bible says that if we seek after the fruit of the spirit that we will not fullfill the lust of the flesh I belive anger is a by-product of the works of the flesh. If we meet on the street and you are walking in the love of God then what will come out of you is the love of God if you be walking in peace then there will be the fruit of peace come forth from you and so on... people we confront in our walk daily are not responsible for you loosing your temper "you are" although they may cause the spirit you are walking in to berevealed but they don't cause your anger how you respond is up to you ,you are so right Pastor if you seem to be going off on people loved ones your children and pets maybe it's time to plug in to the Holy Spirit and do a little house cleaning!Ever notice some people have to have attention all the time always drawing notice to themselves and they just don't seem to be content almost as tho they are guilty about something and getting approval of others makes them feel secure .people who have exsperianced Gods forgiveness and excepted that know they are loved and are forgiven and are content no need to prove themselve they are at peace with their maker . people shouldn't cause you to get angry but they can cause the spirit you are walking in to be revealed untill next time "May GOD bless you my beloved"

    ReplyDelete