Thursday, April 1, 2010

I Got Into A Fist Fight Last Night

I'm not sure why I'm telling you this story. Its quite embarrassing actually. I guess since I've come to terms with it. After the police left, and no charges were filed, it was clear that I wasn't in the wrong, even though I did act in a way that probably wasn't very pastorly.

Let me set the stage- usually after church on Wednesdays we end up going to get a snack. A frosty from Wendy's a Slurpee from 7-Eleven. Last night we decided that we would get Icees.

We get Icees at the AMPM in our town, and its quite busy, with the low gas prices and all (consequently I recommend to NEVER get gas from AMPM- its the lowest grade gas in the world). Last night was no different, there was a ton of people there.

All four of us ended up at the back of the store by the Icee machine, and were filling our Icees when this young man showed up to get an Icee. He was probably about 20 and wanted one, so when it appeared as if my kids were taking too long to get thier drinks, he nudged them aside and started filling his cup.

I couldn't help myself, I kindly reminded the guy that my kids were there first, and that they would like to finish filling their cups. He turned around, looked at me, and said "whatever old man" and pushed me in my chest.

I don't know what happened, but I lost it. It happened so fast I cant really remember how, but I clenched up my fist, reeled back and laid one right on his kisser.

It was kind of like on the movies. He spun a bit, and ended up against the Icee machine with his drink flying out of his hand. He game at me again and he and I ended up wrestling around on the ground, with chips and candy flying around.

I dont know how long it lasted, I just remember a City of Covington police officer pulling me off the guy.

I was concerned, but after talking to the officer about what happened, he told me that he knew this kid and that he was prone to picking fights at other places around the city.

I didn't tell the guy I was a pastor, but he did let me go and said that it was clear I acted in self defense.

Added bonus- I got all our Icees for free!

Be blessed
Matt


ps. If you believe that story check the calendar.

4 comments:

  1. Good one Matt.. you almost had me at Icey's...Everyone know's that Frosty's are the BOMB! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never come between a man and his Icees

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Did I ever tell you the one where I wrestled a bear in a 7-Eleven?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something about Dad's and convenience stores...it just brings out the best in them!! ;) My Dad did something very similar Matt...he ripped off part of a guys ear while trying to grab the guys earing because he taunted me and flicked me the bird...I think I was 12....while getting Slurpee's at a 7-11 in Winter Park, FL. I still remember it today. We just love our dad's don't we!!! :)

    ReplyDelete