Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Man, 73, Rides 3 Miles In Wheelchair To Save Sister

Did you catch this story? In Oregon, a man, 73, got stuck in the snow with his sister, and he went for help on his wheelchair for 3 miles until someone found him and help. You can read the story here- http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101030/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_wheelchair_rescue its a pretty amazing story.
 
The story isn't that long. The headline says it all.
 
I think that most of us if we were in dire circumstances like that we would be willing to do it also. Wheelchair or not, if I was stuck in the snow, I would find a way to get out. If it cost me my life I would die trying to save my family.
 
Makes me think- are there other areas of our life that we should be willing to fight that hard? Sure, its easy when there is a burning building, or a car wreck for the fight or flight instinct to kick in and cause us to act. But what about those things that we know would greatly benefit us or others, that we don't do, either out of apathy or laziness.
 
I know that there are things in my life that I need to change. I know there are things in my life that I need to attack.I know there are people I can love and help. But, many times, I constantly put these things off for days weeks and months, why? Because they appear to be things that are not life or death circumstance. Or are they?
 
Let me explain- I wont have a heart attack today if I eat some fried food and don't exercise. What may happen is that if I never exercise, and constantly eat fried food, it could contribute to health problems later in my life. Because the impact of the decision today, is so far off, it lessens the likelihood that I will be influenced by its effects.
 
No one drinks poison because it immediately kills them. People act in dire circumstance because if they don't someone will die.
 
The trick is to treat things that seem benign as if they were dire, so that you will be prompted to act now, versus later.
 
The Bible says "Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act" (Proverbs 3:27). I think that's a powerful scripture. We can choose to act. We can choose to do good. We can make an immediate impact in the lives of others and our selves if we would act now.
 
Choose today to act. To not put off. To treat the day as if someone you knew or yourself were trapped and act immediately. Don't put it off.
 
If a 73 year old man can go in the snow in his wheelchair for 3 miles, you can do something, can't you?
 
be blessed
pastor matt

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment