Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I Figured Out How to Pay For The Gas Increase

Its March 2011, and gasoline prices have gone up about 15% in the last month or so. Its a bit of a jump. For us, because we own a gas-hog- it translates to about 60 dollars more per month for our gasoline bill.
 
I'm not really excited about it. It is what it is. There is nothing that I can do to change the price- all I can do is find a way to cut something else out of the budget.
 
I found it.
 
We ditched extended cable and the DVR yesterday and its going to save us about 75 dollars a month. Its not the only reason we got rid of it, but it sure will help. Frankly, we find that when we have less to watch on television, we watch less television. Interesting concept.
 
I want you to understand that I'm not saying that I'm not going to be watching the glowing box in my living room anymore, but what I am saying is that in addition to saving a bit of money, an added benefit is less watching of the box in our home.
 
I think that alot of the stuff that comes across that thing is pure garbage, and that's just what I get from watching advertisements for shows I don't even watch.
 
Listen, I'm not saying that you're a bad person for watching TV or that you're in danger of the pit fires of hell for doing so. I will say that like many things in our lives, even though it may be OK for us to do something, it may not be the most beneficial. Only you can make the call on that one.
 
There is something powerful in giving up something that you desire. When you do it, you begin to find what is truly important in your life and what things you value. Sure, maybe its not TV for you, maybe its something else.
 
Here's the deal- God wants to be numero uno in our lives everyday. Anytime we allow something else to get between us and him its bad. The best thing that we can do to ensure our relationship with Him is to remove those obstacles that keep us from fully serving him.
 
Reflect on that today. Maybe there is something you need to give up. Figure it out and do it. Watch what happens.
 
Be blessed
pastor matt

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

1 comment:

  1. I'm not giving up my coffee. TV I can live without... especially when football season is over. Great post Matt!

    ReplyDelete