Thursday, July 9, 2009

All We Need Is.....

Love. Seriously. Its been something that has been on my mind a bunch this week. People in my estimation, are not loving enough.

When I say not loving, Its actually a double meaning. I don't think that people internally are loving on the inside, as in "She's a loving person". I also think that people are not loving in their actions, as in "I'm going to go show them some love".

Have you ever seen someone on stage that says "Show em some love" before a performer comes out, and then the crowd erupts in applause? That's not love. Have you ever heard someone call someone "love", say at a diner or place of business? That's not love.

Love costs. Love hurts. Love puts itself out there.

Love is the antithesis of selfishness and unforgiveness. Love is against pride and hurtful attitudes. Love, as the Bible says, "covers a multitude of sins".

There is nothing more important in any relationship than the amount of love that someone is showing in the relationship.

How loving are you? Do you forgive easily or do you hold a grudge? Do you allow yourself to be inconvenienced for the sake of love? Do you put yourself out there and put yourself in a position of possibly being hurt for the sake of love?

There's a great scripture passage from the Bible that talks about love. Its in 1st Corinthians chapter 13 (The Message version), it says,

Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.
Love doesn't strut,
Doesn't have a swelled head,
Doesn't force itself on others,
Isn't always "me first,"
Doesn't fly off the handle,
Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn't revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything,
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end.

Challenge yourself on the level of love you have today. And make the choice to love some more. God will honor you for it.

I Love you
Matt

2 comments:

  1. Matthew,
    I enjoy all your posts, some more than others, but today really spoke to me and brought tears to my eyes. I will read and re-read it, thank you for your spirit and your love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my first thought: yeah? .... ok, now tell me something that isn't common knowledge. Love is deep and meaningful, not just a buzz word. Duh.

    Then i realized that this isn't exactly common knowledge. People in general don't take the time to stop and think about such things, as far as i have been able to discern. Sad.

    Also, no one likes to be hurt. And true love opens you wide up for pain. As odd as it is to say, it's hard to blame someone for not loving completely.

    And to end my much too long rant about subjects i have no place discussing in places i have no right being... have a good one :P

    ReplyDelete