Thursday, July 30, 2009

It Don't Matter If You're Black or White

My son has a new found love of Michael Jackson music. I admit, I may have contributed to it somewhat. When I got Gabriel his mp3 player, I put 2 MJ songs on there, 'Wanna be startin' somethin' and 'Billie Jean'. Two epic MJ songs.

Well, through a weird coincidence, MJ died a few months later, and my son has now become very interested in his music. I updated his mp3 with some Jackson 5, Bad, Dangerous and of course Thriller. We were on YouTube the other night watching videos of MJ. Pretty cool.

So my son walks around the house singing MJ songs all day, and yesterday he was singing "It don't matter if your black or white". It really got me thinking about race a bit. Its been quite an issue in the news the past week, with the whole Cambridge Police vs. Gates/Obama thing. I'm not sure why that is, but it seems that this race thing is something we can't seem to get over.

No matter what you're race is, I'm sure that at some point you were treated a certain way because of your race. Its sad, but true. There are still people out there that make decisions based on race. It shouldn't be that way, God never intended it that way, but its the way that it is for a lot of people.

Here's my thought- God doesn't care what skin tone someone is, and we shouldn't either. God is going to deal with us on the heart level, and to us, we are called to do one thing- love. That's it. Nice people, bad people, funny people, dumb people, tall, skinny, fat, ugly, pretty, smart and dumb. No matter what, we are supposed to LOVE people.

One of my favorite Bible verses is from 1 John, it says "whoever does not love, does not know God, because God is love". That's our calling. That's our mission. To love with the passion that God loves us.

As ol' MJ says, it doesn't matter if you're black or white, and it doesn't. Truly doesn't. If we would love people, all people, this race thing wouldn't be such an issue.

Go love someone today.

Matt

2 comments:

  1. This is the reason I like you so much! The fact that you tied all of that together in such a simple package and related it right back to the word of God is awesome!!!

    Aubrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a powerful message today my brother on so many levels, "not judging a book by it's cover".
    If we let this message get into our very bones, reflection, repentance and rejoicing will take place. How will the world know that you are my disciples? By the way you love one another! Praise the Lord for you my brother and may God continue to speak through you to HIS people. With love; brother randy.

    ReplyDelete