Thursday, July 2, 2009

Have You Ever Been Duped?

Billy Mays died this week. Do you know who he is? He's that famous pitch man from TV that got his first infomercial fame with the product "OxiClean". There is a funny rap remix of the product "Kaboom" that you may like here. It has nothing to with the blog, but I like it.

So anyway, when I was a kid, and I would be sick and home from school, I would lay in bed and watch TV all day.

When my mom would come home from work, I would literally greet her with a hand written list of all the products that I had seen on television that day that I thought that we should buy. Of course, she would say no, because she knew that probably 80-95% of the products were bogus, and wouldn't live up to their claims.

I was young, I didn't know any better. And apparently she didn't think that we needed to cook an egg faster, chop our food better, or get our windows cleaner.

What I should have known is that most people have mental filters that they use to determine what is real, trustworthy, and legit. As a child, those filters are not usually in place, so its easier to get duped.

Do you have good filters in place to ensure you're not getting duped? Do you believe every email forward you get? Do you agree with every person that comes into your life? Do you watch the news, or read the paper, or a book and believe it is all complete truth?

I am not saying that you should live your life as a skeptic as much as I am saying that at times it is beneficial to dig a little deeper into somethings to make sure that you or your family is not getting taken advantage of by someone or something that appears to have all the answers to you problems. Whether it is soap scum or spiritual development.

Check your filters today. Make sure they are clean and ready to use. Filters are what the Bible calls discernment. I like Proverbs 3:21 "My son, preserve sound judgment and discernment, do not let them out of your sight".

Use some of that grey matter between the ears today. Make sure you're not getting taken advantage of, or believing everything you hear.

Be blessed
matt

PS- We got one hit from Wyoming and South Dakota! Thank you! Now we still need Kentucky, Delaware and Rhode Island! Anyone got someone out there?

2 comments:

  1. I remember those days with fondness and actually retell the same story over and over. It was the free samples you called and requested that were needless, but they were free....right?
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm overstocked on my inflatable flailing arm tube men if anyone is interested... Everyone needs one. That's why I'm overstocked, because they are selling like hot cakes... Get yours now... Also have some va poo rise on back order just for you...

    ReplyDelete