Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I Can't Believe I Dyed My Hair (Pic Included)

Well, I did it. I dyed my hair blond. Well, at least I tried to get it blond. Its actually more reddish. I did this once back in college when I was on spring break, and for some reason, I had a fond memory of the experience. It was fun, and very "California" (which happened to be where I was that Spring of '97). Crystal and I and the kids are planning a California Vacation for 2 weeks starting Friday, so we thought it would be 'fun' to dye my hair for the vacation.

I'm not sure how 'fun' its going to be. I was going for more of the Guy Fieri (The dude from Diners, Drive-ins and Dives) look, but ended up more with the guy who bought a bottle of the cheapest stuff at wal-mart who was trying to look like Guy Fieri look.

I went on my walk this morning and wore my hood on my head. I was completely aware of the fact that I have a head of hair that now looks like a landing beacon. What was I thinking? I'm not sure. I guess this is what makes life exciting at 34 when you're married with two kids. Except now my daughter frowns when she sees me and my son wants an earring. What a great example that Pastor Matt has set for the children.

Here's the nugget- over the next few days and weeks, I'm going to probably get some reactions about my hair. More than anything, I'm sure people I know and don't know are going to make assumptions about me simply because of the new appearance of my hair. Its sad, but true. People make up their mind about people because of something to do with their look. The truth is, this shouldn't' be the case. I'm the same guy I was yesterday when I was a brown headed guy. I still have the same brain, the same heart, the same thoughts. The only difference is the package that its coming in for the next few weeks.

In the Bible, there is a story about a young shepherd boy who would be king of Israel, a man is sent to go and look for him and is told "Do not consider his height or appearance, for these are the things that man looks at. Man looks at outward appearance, the Lord looks at the heart".

Challenge yourself today. Do you judge people based on how they look? Do you make assumptions about what kind of person they are? God looks at the heart, and we would all do well to use that as a means of understanding who a person is, not what they look like.

Be Blessed,
matt

9 comments:

  1. I like the temporary change, surfer guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With your eyebrows and gote brown, everyone will know you're not a natural blonde. :-) jk

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL.... Personally, if you were going for the blast from the past look you should have done the high fade on Shelly's pics. The kid in play hair would have been way cooler. As it stands now, you could do Vanilla Ices new punk stuff.... Love ya brother.... -Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sides look like Guy Fieri. ;) Go buy a bottle of Sun-in for the top. It will either work, or your hair will fall out. Great message today! The outside is just a shell. It does not matter. :) Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it matt, last night we were in PT, and I saw a shirt in a shop and Jess said "we should buy that for you"

    The shirt said "I might be too old to be doing what I am doing"

    I don't know what she meant by that. "She said, you could wear it at Wrestling Practice, the Skate Park, going to the High School."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait for you to come down here so I can make fun of you :) I can't believe its been 12 years since you came down here to SD for spring break. TJ was fun too! I think I have the spring break photo, bleached hair n all, on my Facebook page! Can't wait to see you guys...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it!! And I love Paul's shirt suggestion!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't get down Pony boy, I need you when we rumble against the Soc's down at the vacant lot.
    -Dan Alexander

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dude, what in the world were you thinking??? You should have went red...Blonde makes you look slow...LOL

    ReplyDelete