Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Does This Happen To You When You Go Out To Eat?

We went out to eat last night for dinner at Red Robin. I think its probably been at least 3 or 4 months since we've been there. We were craving California Chicken Burgers and fries. Man, that food is good.
 
We got to the restaurant and were seated, and then we met our waitress.
 
"Hi, I'm >>>>> I'll be your waitress for the evening, how are WE doing tonight".
 
Let me stop right there. I hate the "how are we WE doing" greeting at the restaurant. As far as I'm concerned, I don't think that when a person of the waitstaff inquires about our emotional disposition that they truly are adding themselves into the group. Its never a 'we' they are truly talking about. They really are only asking how the group sitting at the table is doing, the waitstaff is not part of the group at the table. Hence, the 'we' is not an adequate greeting. It should be, "how are you guys doing" or "how are you doing tonight" or even "how is everyone doing tonight".
 
It doesn't end there- "Is this your first time to Red Robin"?
 
Yes. I've been on safari in Africa for the last 10 years and have just returned this Tuesday evening to Kent Washington and decided to try this building with the crimson bird on the front of it for provisions. Do you serve Wilda beast here?
 
I'm curious what they say to "no- this is my first time". Do they say "Well, here we serve food, you read off this menu here and then tell me what you would like, and then I go back to that area back there called a kitchen and bring you back food for you to eat".
 
I'm ranting here. I know.
 
Here's the deal- and why I'm talking about this- we all talk to someone in our life and HOW we say it is just as important as WHAT we say. The inflection, the tone, the speed, it all plays into how people respond to what we say.
 
When you have a tone in your voice that seems as though you are talking to 3 year old who is on a swing set, you're implying something- specifically that the person you are talking to is either a child, or unable to comprehend simple instructions.
 
So what to do? What what you say, and how you say it. To coworkers, to spouses, to friends, to kids. Think about the tone that you use to communicate to people. When you watch your tone and inflection that you use with others, it ensures that what you say is well received. 
 
The last thing that you want is to be in a position to speak words of encouragement into someones life and ruin by how you say it. Don't just watch what you say, watch how you say it.
 
I like what James 1:26 says- If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.
 
Don't be worthless. Watch the tongue.
 
Be Blessed
matt

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment