Thursday, April 28, 2011

Going to Fiji With My Deodorant (pic included)

Old_spice

Check out this sweet deodorant. Never in my life have I ever been more excited about putting something under my armpits. This deodorant, smells like palm trees, sunshine, and freedom. 

That's for me. 100%. 

I used to just wear Old Spice "sport" deodorant, but that didn't make me want to do sports, or play sports. No one called me 'sport' or said that I looked 'sporty'. But for some reason, I think this deodorant is going to be different.  Finally, I'm going to be free and get some sunshine. 

It seemed like a normal day last Tuesday when the wife was going to the store and asked if I needed anything. I asked if she would please pick me up some underarm deodorant, because mine was about down to the nub. Imagine my surprise when I saw it yesterday in the medicine cabinet waiting for me. 

Who would have thought that a consumer product used under the arms to change the foul smell of my man sweat could do such amazing things. To think that for a mere 3 dollars, I could experience freedom and sunshine under my arms is an experience that is next to impossible to describe. 

For the record, I haven't used it yet. I have to wait for the other one to run out, but I'm really looking forward to it. 

I was thinking though- even after I apply this magical product, and even if it does smell like freedom and sunshine, I don't really think my life is going to change that much. Sure, I may smell slightly different to those that go around smelling my underarms, but for most people, no one will care. 

How sad. Freedom and sunshine under my arms and no one to share it with. 

Perhaps consumer products are not all they are cracked up to be. Maybe this is just a ploy to get me to buy their product. To get me to think that my satisfaction can be found in what I buy, use and have, and not in something else. 

Its a pretty dirty trick if you ask me. I've been duped. 

Here's the deal- stuff like this happens all the time, and I know you are not the type of person that gets sucked in by advertising, but sometimes I am. I will see something, that for a moment will make me feel like my life could be different, if only I had that product. I buy the product, and my life stays the exact same. 

I think the lesson is to put our faith and hope in something a little more powerful than a consumer product. To realize that the things in this life that matter most are not found on a shelf, but found in the soul. 

Have you been allowing the world to suck you into their schemes? Learn from the deodorant today and make a choice to seek after the Lord rather than a product or thing that will waste a way. What you will find is that when you put your faith in God, rather than stuff, you'll be more happy, content, and fulfilled. 

Still buy deodorant, but put your faith in God. 

be blessed
pastor matt

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

1 comment:

  1. I would like to know why you (men) get palm trees, sunshine and freedom while we (women) get powder fresh, orange blossom, or asian pear? Either way, this verse comes to mind...

    Your adornment should not be an external one: braiding the hair, wearing gold jewelry, or dressing in fine clothes, but rather the hidden character of the heart, expressed in the imperishable beauty of a gentle and calm disposition, which is precious in the sight of God. 1 Peter 3:3-4

    ReplyDelete