Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Smashing The Cars On I-5

I think on some level, we all have some trust issues. 

It starts from when we are a child. We learn to trust or distrust the people around us based on how we are raised or what we experience. If you get walloped upside the head when you spill your milk as a child, you learn to not spill your milk. Or, you learn to distrust the person walloping you. Seems pretty basic. 

As they say, trust is easy to lose, hard to gain. It takes time to build trust, and it can be washed away very quickly if something is said or done wrong. That's normal. 

Yesterday, the wife and I were driving around and she said something that has had me thinking. She said, "you know, you really have to trust the other people that are driving around you."

I never really thought about that. Its true. When I'm driving on the interstate, I have to trust that the scores of other drivers are going to stay in their lane, follow traffic laws, and be nice. Of course not everyone does that, but its the intent. 

As I was thinking about it, it occurred to me- specifically in the area of driving, I trust thousands of people every day. I trust that they are not going to smash me with their cars. Without even thinking about it- I trust a lot of people. 

Sure, you purists might say that we have safety protections that keep us from being harmed by other people's driving, and that's true, but here's the point that I'm making today- even if you have trust 'issues' more than likely you trust more than you realize. It takes trust to eat out at a restaurant, walk on the road, drink municipal water, pay a bill, send your kids to school, work at a job. 

Trust is everywhere. 

The point? Realize that even if you've been burned or hurt by one experience or person, not everyone and everything cannot be trusted. If you pay attention and look around, you'll see that you probably trust a lot more than you realize. 

Think on that today. Think about how much you do that requires trust. Then, realize how much you actually trust the people around you. Realize that if you can trust at all, anywhere, you can learn to trust God more. 

That's what He wants from us anyway. Not to trust other people, but to trust Him. And if we allow other people to ruin our idea of what trust is, it can effect our trust of God, and that's not good. 

You can trust Him. 

be blessed
pastor matt

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment