Thursday, April 21, 2011

Have You Ever Been Woken Up Early?

I don't like getting woke up before the time I am ready to get woken up. It makes Matt angry! It doesn't happen nearly as often in the winter, but it often happens in the Summer because I sleep with my window open. 

In the neighborhood in which we live, our backyard rests against a arterial. Not really a main one, but one that is frequently used. A lot of houses border this street, but most of them, it is the back yard that looks over the street, which is lined with trees. 

On this street, there is a place on the side of the road, that is large enough for a car to park, or wait, and the cars to continue to use the road. There is such a place behind my house. 

Every single Thursday since we have lived in this house, the trash truck parks behind our house at about 6:30am. Engine running. Big diesel humming bass creating engine running. Often, the truck is joined by another truck or two, and then the occupants stand outside the truck and commence to converse. About what I have no idea, but I know they are conversing, because I can hear them. Because they are talking loud enough to be able to hear each other over the loud sounds of the engines. 

Apparently they figure because they can't see anyone, no one sees them, therefore, they are not disturbing anyone. I guess there is a noise ordinance that prohibits them from starting their route before 7am, so they have to wait if they get to the area early. 

They have chosen to wait behind  my house. Every Thursday morning for the past 7 years. 

I've often thought about how to remedy this. The best idea I can come up with is a flannel shirt and hockey mask and just standing about 100 yards up the street in their headlights looking at them. There is a trail that I could enter and retreat through, and I am pretty sure that they wouldn't be able to find me after I stood there in the dark, with my hockey mask on. I wouldn't have a weapon. I think a guy in a hockey mask is scary enough. 

I haven't worked up the courage to do that yet, but this morning it occurred to me- they only come once a week, and its necessary. They are not tormenting me, they are serving me. 

Once a week they come and take out the garbage of my life that I don't need or want. My refuse. The junk I don't need to keep. 

What a great thing! Someone comes by and helps me clean out my life! I thought about how the Holy Spirit wants to do the same thing in our lives, but do it daily. To come by, and help us clean the stuff out of our lives that we don't want or need. 

He comes in, cleans it up, and you're better off for it. 

I've fought my trash guys for years on Thursday mornings. Now I appreciate them. Maybe there is an area of trash in your life that you need the Holy Spirit truck to come in and clean out for you. I promise if you let Him, he will. It might be annoying at first, but once you realize what He is doing, you'll be better off for it, with a cleaner life. 

Be blessed
pastor matt

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

1 comment:

  1. This is REALLY good! Gonna call ya bout website! Praise report we are #4 now on Google search just by typing Eastman GA churches thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete