Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Pastor's Book Review- Heaven Is For Real

Let me start out by saying that for the most part, I'm really skeptical of people's personal spiritual experiences that are out of the ordinary. I have to see it or touch it for it to be real to me. When people have these stories of angels and visitations, I don't jump on the bandwagon. 

I think I'm just afraid of being duped. Of being "that guy" that believed something that wasn't true, even though everyone else did. I'd rather stand on the sidelines and watch and save face. I don't want to look bad. 

I know. It's not a great character trait, but its self-preservation. This is me. Welcome to my world. 

Yesterday, we were at Costco, "dorking around" as we like to call it, and I saw that book "Heaven is for real".  Our worship leader, the esteemed Emily Garrett, had read it and spoke of it, so I started to thumb through it. Since it was only 9 dollars, I figured I would buy it and see what it was about. 

I got home, sat on the couch to begin reading it, and about 3 hours later I had finished the book. I couldn't put it down. It was an amazing read. I can't remember a more powerful book (beside the Bible) that I have read in the last 10 years that affected me so much. 

Now, understanding what I've said about my skeptical nature, I need you to understand this- either this book is 100 percent the real deal, or completely false. If its false, woe be to the guy that wrote it, because it is off the charts inspiring. As I was reading it, I laughed, I wept, I praised God, I felt his presence. I don't gravitate towards books like this. I like to read personal growth books. Leave the squishy books to the other guy. Give me a manual. 

I don't want to ruin the book for you, but let me explain- this book, which was written by a Pastor, is the account of his 4 year old sons visit to heaven. It chronicles the discovery of the event, what transpired, and how it affected the boy. 

What affected me the most is the scriptural accuracy of the visit, and the father's attempt to understand what had happened, without feeding his child information. It didn't leave me with many questions about the experience. It was clear that he wanted to get it right. 

You have to read it. 

Here's the deal- usually you would not find me endorsing a book about someones experience, because typically, those experiences lead people in wrong directions. On this one, I'm putting all 250 lbs behind this paperback. I'll take the heat if it comes out bad in the long run, but this book doesn't send your heart any where it shouldn't be. Its solid. 

I realize that this blog typically is about my insight and encouragement, and maybe you're not getting it in large measure today. I'm willing to let that go today to get you to read this book. It's that powerful. 

Be encouraged today. I knew heaven was for real before I read this book, but now, I can see it even more vividly. You will to. 

Be blessed
pastor matt

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

2 comments:

  1. This is an Awesome book!!!! Another great book is "Raising the Dead" by Dr. Chauncey Crandall- it is definitely a surprise read and a life changing book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt,
    I have heard about this book. A friend of mine, who I also respect, told me about it. Dan and I are skeptics too, but I think this is one I will have to read. Thanks for Sharing!

    ReplyDelete