Thursday, August 6, 2009

I Admit- I Got It Wrong

I am a pastor. At times it entails alot of different duties. At times I am called upon during times of emotional distress for prayer and support. I may be summoned to provide for the spiritual care of those who are struggling spiritually. I preach. I counsel. I lead. I pray. I lead music. And at times, I have the glorious opportunity to help people move.

Its not the best part of being a pastor, but I guess its something that you do when people know you're available during the day. Actually, its not that bad, well, usually not that bad. Typically you get a meal of pizza, or some donuts or something. If I get real lucky, I'll score some sort of tool or unused electronic that the person moving doesn't want anymore. Best of all, we get time to fellowship and hang out, that to me, is really what pastoring is all about.

Yesterday I was called to help a family from the church load up their moving van for their move. We got to the house at about 10am, and the truck was already there.

Let me back up for a minute. I have issues with people who have lack of planning for their move. I have had experiences in the past where the move/pack was not planned well, that were quite interesting.

So anyway, knowing that, when I showed up and surveyed what we had to move, and the size of the truck, I was concerned. Quite concerned in fact. So concerned that I pulled my wife aside and whispered in her ear "I want to go on record saying that all of this stuff will not fit in this one truck".

I was wrong. Rich, the guy I was helping to move was able to cram every last bit of stuff in his house into the Uhaul with one trip. There was actually room left over. This guy was amazing. I don't think there was more than a one inch gap anywhere in the whole truck. He was quick, efficient and the most amazing packer I have ever seen.

Here's the nugget- at times, based on past experience or personal issues, we assume that things are going to be a certain way. We come into those situations with pre-conceived ideas that may not prove to be true. Sure, this example has to do with helping someone move, but don't we do that in other situations also?

I'm not sure the reason why we find so much comfort in making up our mind prior to having all the facts, but I think we would do better to give most things a little more time, and realize that we don't have to have it made up in our mind before it happens.

Have a little faith. Give people a chance. Allow God to move.

Be blessed today

matt

4 comments:

  1. what an excellent blog entry!!! A great reminder to all of us to set aside our preconceived notions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preconceived notions are bad, I got rid of mine long time ago. I suggest everyone else do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to go on the record to say that airforce guys can pack a truck. I had to go to a certification course ran by those airforce guys that showed certifies you to be a loader of an airforce plane. They know the exact balance, weight and all that of things to be loaded on thier planes and just how to pack them to make sense. The MAster Loader loader course is called that for a reason....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, so that is like twice in the 6 years that I have known you to admit to being wrong! Of course... all the other times you just so happened to be right! =)

    ReplyDelete