Friday, August 14, 2009

My Take On ObamaCare

Pastors aren't supposed to talk about politics. Or at least that's what people try to make me think. For some reason, people mis-interpret the tax-exempt status law of churches, and go so far as to say that we're not allowed to speak out about what we feel is either moral, just, or even our opinion.

The law is real clear. We're not allowed to endorse any candidate for office, or monetarily support them either. In the history of this law, there has been exactly zero churches that have lost their status because they said something political.

So here's my stab- I have no idea what is going on with that reform bill. Its over 1000 pages. I tried to read through some of it, and its horribly written. Perhaps if you're a lawyer or something you could understand what it said, but for me, it was a bunch of lawyer speak.

There is basically 2 sides to this issue as I see it-

1. Change the way health care works in America.
2. Keep the way health care works in America.

And now, in wonderful Victory Blog Fashion, I present to you the third option-Psalm 118:8-

It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.

I've got to honest with you- I don't care if you have socialized medicine where you can go for free for any procedure you want, or we move to cash-only system of health care. If people continue to put their trust in the government,an employer, a person, or anything besides almighty God himself, they are going to be disappointed.

It sad to see actually. People long for something to trust and believe in, and because the government is so big, and has all those cool buildings and logos, we begin to believe that they can take care of us and ensure our safety.

I'm putting all my hope in God. The one who never wavers. The one who never sleeps or slumbers. He's my plan. My hope. My care. I'm putting my trust in him.

blessings
matt

3 comments:

  1. WOW did you step into it now!! HA! HA! The politics of this subject is staggering! But I will resist the temptation. I'll just wax philosophic and mention an observation I've noticed in my long life - "one generations luxuries becomes the next generations necessities". Having too much faith in people we can neither see or know has never worked out well at anytime in history. I pray this time will be different - but I'm not optimistic. However I do find solace in knowing that no matter what, when you look out at the stars at night, you can find God - who's always the same and always there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pastor you are correct, and I agree with you 100%, As saints we are to trust in the Lord and Him only - not man. For the past 8 years many people have trusted the president/government and look where it led them. Broke, Butsted and Disgusted. I am glad I know Jesus, and I know that only the Lord is where I put my all of my hope & trust.

    As for the health reform bill, I think it will help many people. This bill (like any bill passed) is written in form for only lawyers to understand. President Obama's reform bill is no different than any other in that regard.

    However, I have always felt the health care in this country should change. I experienced at first hand upset with my grandmother who was discriminated for proper care,because of her age. Here was a women who worked very hard all her life & paid her taxes, but when it came to getting proper care at a time she needed it the most she was viewed as being too old so let's just pull the plug. That isn't right.

    Oh, and those who are trying to inflict fear with the seniors today that's not what Pres. Obama's bill is about.

    To better understand the health care reform bill("That's not in Lawyer talk") go to Whitehouse.gov, or Healthreform.gov. It will give you a better idea of what's going on!

    We should not trust ANY MAN - but allow the Holy Spirit to lead you. It is the Holy Spirit's job to lead and guide us into all understanding. :-)

    (John 16:13
    When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own but will tell you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future.

    AMEN...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Social Security is going broke and the national debt is out the roof, let's put the gvernment in charge of our healthcare. I say if all our elected officials want the same healthcare they are trying to offer us, okay, but they that's not the case.

    ReplyDelete