Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I Got Some New Tires Yesterday

I'm a deal hunter. I think I get it from my mom. She's the ultimate deal hunter. She can find apples for 25 cents a pound when they're selling for a dollar. She's amazing. I think I inherited her 'deal' gene. Which is good, because when you save money, you have more for other stuff.

My car is just about to turn 60K. I was desperately needing some new tires. The tread was almost gone, and they weren't a matched set, and the road noise and shimmy was horrible on the freeway.

Here's the thing- how exciting is it to buy tires? You don't have your friends over for a tire warming party and have them gaze at the rubber on your car. Tires are boring. Tires smell good, but they don't get alot of notice when someone is looking at your car.

Tires for my car should have cost me about 500-600 dollars for a set of four. I found a month old set of tires, on factory alloy wheels, on craigslist, for 240 dollars. I swapped out my current wheels, and put on the new ones last night. They look real nice.

We went out last night for a 'cruise' on the new tires. They're great. My car rolls smoother, its quieter, and I saved me a load of cash, which always is nice.

Oh yea, the point of all this- my friend Jay explained to me one time that tires are the most important part of your vehicle. If you don't have good tires, it can cost you your life, because tires make you go, and most importantly stop in the case of an emergency. Sometimes its like that in our own spiritual lives- the things that we need to work on most are not pretty, exciting or fun, but they are important in the long run. If we neglect them, it could cost us our lives.

Take some time today to do a quick 'road check' see if you need new tires, or better yet, see if you need to do a spiritual inventory to check if there is something in your life that needs to be replaced. It may not be fun, or save you some money, but one day it could save your life.

be blessed
matt

No comments:

Post a Comment