Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Don't Do Me Wrong, Or YOU Will End Up on This Blog

Its kind of fun having this little platform of this blog to air my grievances with society at large. Yesterday is a great example of this.

I needed some new keys. So, what do you do when you need new keys? You go to a locksmith, right? I'm beginning to think that locksmiths are a different type of retailer. Along the same lines as a gun shop or a pawn shop. These guys know that you need them more than they need you. This reality drips from their every word and action as you stand in their shop losing your high frequency hearing as they cut new keys.

Anyway, yesterday I got 4 new keys made, paid for them (20 dollars- yes TWENTY DOLLARS- you would think for that amount they would sweep the floor), and went back to check if they worked. They didn't. They wouldn't even go into the hole.

Most of you know by now, patience is not the virtue that the good Lord has bestowed upon me in abundance, so when this happened, I was a bit perturbed.

When I got back to the shop, the guy who helped me was standing outside with a customer, so I went in and told the other guy what had happened. And here is what they said when they realized that they had made the wrong keys, inconvenienced me, and wasted my time- nothing. Not a "hey our bad" or "I'm so sorry Mr. Customer, our establishment is grounded in a culture of efficiency, and we've done you wrong, therefore we're going to make you these keys for free".

Yea, I know. I'm being petty, but here's the kicker- They didn't have the keys that I really needed, so I have to go back AGAIN to get the keys made. Its all a bit inconvenient.

Here's what I would like to do- yell at those guys and give them a quick lesson in customer service. I'd like to take my 4 keys to the next city over and find a NEW and BETTER locksmith that is going to meet MY needs.

But here is what I am going to do- I'm probably going to write a blog about this experience and talk about how God can grow us in these situations. How he can stretch me as a person and help me grow in patience. How I should have a heart to understand that even locksmiths have a need to be loved. To remind myself that every visit that I make back to that shop is an opportunity to share God's love.

Its only time. Its only keys. Grow up Matt. You're not so special that every last interaction that you have with every merchant needs to be a mountain top experience. This world is full of hurting people, and hurting people hurt people. So love on those guys. They probably get tired of cranky customers and late night service calls when no one thanks them.

Be blessed today. And be nice!

Matt

5 comments:

  1. sounds more like DMV or another government office. anyway I like to go to Home Depot for keys they would treat you right...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for your inconvienance Mr Matt, but this happens all the time. Let's look at this from a distance, the service you recieve will only be as good as the person serving you it doe's not sound like you got the top man or owner's help! Unfortunetly that's the way it is here's a quote to live by "Pride will get the job done, but Love will take it to perfection" not all of us have the Love you do for their work! But on your behalf God knows your heart and that you have an issue with patience and from your blog I think you got the Gold metal on this test!" God trys the heart" And you are right patience is a virtue of God because we certainly don't have any. Your friend in Big TX Pasquale

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is something we can ALL learn from.
    Bless you Pastor Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When is man-kind gonna realize their integrity can make or break a business. Good Business ethics and a good reputation take a while ro establish. Go back...demand your money back and try Walmart...there only $1-3 a key...plus they stand behind their work. and tell others about this locksmith...there has to be others you can go to...Matt you are not wrong, except you went to some jerks...stand up for your rights. Yes, we are Christians, but that doesn't mean we need to put up with others bad business ethics. Put this company in the hands of the Lord...and watch what he can do with them. and pray for them. I love you, MOM Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a place where feeling like a prisoner and feeling captive is a good feeling. It is not with an inadequate LOCKSMITH, but rather being a prisoner of our Lord's undying Love. His service is perfection at ALL times!!!
    Your Friend BIG TEX

    ReplyDelete