Friday, October 16, 2009

Why Can't Anything Be Easy?

Crystal decided yesterday that she was going to to paint our bathroom. There was some of that green mildew junk growing above the shower, that seems to never go away, so the answer is Kilz and new paint!

Here's the issue- the mildew grows because of excess moisture in the bathroom, that is compounded by our broken fan that is in there. We've been in our house for five years, and never fixed it since we've moved in. Since she started painting, I thought it best that we should replace the fan.

I went to my place, the Home Depot, and found a "Bath Fan Upgrade Kit" that only cost about 25 dollars, and had a logo on the box that said, and I quote, "upgrade your fan in 10 mins!". You can probably tell where this blog is going already.

3 hours and 3 trips back to home depot, and I finally got that fan installed. It was not easy to say the least, nor did it take 10 mins. It took ten minutes for me to open the box, and sit at the kitchen table and read through those "english" instructions that they provided. It was not fun. It didn't help that my son kept coming into the bathroom and into the attic and repeatedly asking me, "why don't you call a repair man, Dad?"

That's a great question Gabe. Next time, I just may do that.

Here's what occurred to me though- as I was driving back to Home Depot for the third time, I thought to myself- I can either get mad about this, or just roll with it.

The Bible says in Romans chapter 12 that we transform ourselves by the renewing of our minds. That means, we have to think about things differently.

I have to tell you, I did that yesterday, and I was quite proud of myself. I usually get really upset and in a tizzy when that stuff happens, and yesterday, it rolled off my back.

I encourage you to try it next time you are in a situation that usually gets you angry or frustrated. Think about it, and choose to not get upset or angry and watch how much easier it is. The negative emotion doesn't help. Looking and thinking about it differently does.

Be blessed. Have a great weekend.

matt

5 comments:

  1. Nothing is ever as easy as it seems to be. I have a million stories like this bro and you are right, getting mad never once made it any better. Good for you.

    Dan Alexander

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you said you would call the "repair man" you meant me didn't you. - Corb

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, he meant Jesus...the real "Repair" man......Good for you for holding the temper, getting angry never fixes anything, Matt. Some lessons are hard to swallow, but you'll get a gold star in your crown for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pastor Matt, after waiting 11 years for the Suburban, what's 3 hours to a heart of a champion?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No Corb, he's talking about me, his father in-law, the man from Texas...he waited for a year for me to fix the hole in his kitchen floor. But we still love him, I consider it an honour to serve "Pastor Matt"

    ReplyDelete