Tuesday, November 1, 2011

If you Celebrated Halloween you are a Devil Worshipper!?!?

It happens every year. The Christians of the world come out in full force against Halloween. I know that my commentary on it is the day after, but I've got such a ridiculous chocolate hang-over its all I can think about this morning. 

I made the decision ( for you Calvinists, I came to the realization of my election) to follow Jesus in August of 1990. Since that time I have been around for 21 Halloweens. Every year, there is a camp of people who 'rise up' against the 'evil' of this holiday and decry the Christians participation in it for its pagan roots and demonic influence. Many of these people appear to believe that people who take part in this holiday are worshipping at the footstool of Satan and becoming one of his minions for a night. 

Now, I don't have the time in this blog to go into the historical record of Halloween or come up with any scriptural references for it or against it, but this I will say:

If you are mad about Halloween there are few more days and a lot more things that you should be upset about and boycotting besides the annual feast of the chocolate. 

Here is the arguments I hear- that I am teaching my children about evil. I am taking part in something highly spiritual. I am supporting the work of the devil. I am part of a day that is wrought with destruction. And of course, my personal favorite- what would Jesus do?

As a Christian, I believe that it is my God-Given right to infect and over take any and all spiritual forces of wickedness in any way shape or form. I am not called to become evil to do this, but am called to bring the light of Christ into every dark corner of the world and spread the love of God into it. 

I was thinking last night as I was sitting in my garage, where were all the trick or treaters? I only had one come by in 1.5 hours. I'll tell you where I think a lot of them were- at all of the Church sponsored trunk or treats. The church has seen this 'evil' holiday as a opportunity to share the Gospel. I know, some of you hardliners will say that we don't have to become evil to share the Gospel, but wearing a Ewok suit and grubbin' on some Junior Mints isn't as evil as every is saying. 

Should we praise Halloween? No. Should we try to make it a holy day? No. Am I saying that it is a Christian holiday? No. But, can we, as Christians infiltrate that day to the point where it loses all of its perceived spiritual power and it becomes a innocuous as it truly is? We can take this day and make a National Christian Candy Outreach day. 

Going down the slippery slope of declaring and decrying will eventually make us all Amish. But, then again, those Amish sinners with the belt buckles and the cellphones are probably in the danger of the pit-fires of hell anyway. 

Heck, we took the pagan day of Ishtar and made it into Easter. (you can google that one). 

I don't love Halloween, but I do love that it is the only day of the year that I can knock on someones door to share the Gospel and they will answer it and that I can invite them to my church for an event and they will come. 

Eat some candy. Live for Jesus. Praise his name. Don't worship the devil. 

be blessed
pastor matt

ps. comments and facebook shares are appreciated!

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment