Friday, November 18, 2011

Guest Blogger! Todd Sommer and The Irrigation Pipe Dinosaur

Irrigation_pipe_t-rex

This is the lesson that I have learned from my father.  We should never place limits on God and we should always be open to the opportunity to do something slightly crazy for God's glory. 

My father has always been a collector.  From the working stoplight, to a chair that has the shape of a hand, to the giant wooden marlin, you never quite knew what dad was going to bring home.  About a year ago however he started bringing home more and more fossils.  Maybe to some people that might sound strange but to my family that sounds perfectly normal.  You see dad has always had a passion for rocks, science, and archaeology.  

For some people science and God don't mix, but for my Dad it's always been a passion to make people realize that they do.  So as he was collecting rocks as fossils and thinking and praying he came up with the idea of creating a Creation Museum.  The idea is little crazy when you type it out on paper. 

My father is going to open a Creation Museum in Broken Bow NE (population 5000).  

Undaunted by such minor things my father has pushed forward and is not only opening this museum sometime in the spring of next year, but has also managed to construct a giant replica of a Tyrannosaurus Rex (made out of irrigation pipe) to place in the front just so no one could possibly miss what he was trying to do.  

When I asked dad what was the reason you decided to open the museum.  He said “To show that the bible is the authoritative word of God.  To do that,  I need to show that Evolution is not true.” 

I look at that and I think “wow” that is so cool.  He took his passion and his desire and transformed it into something that is supporting one of the bedrock principals of our faith.  The bible is true.  

This is the essence of what it is to be Christian.   You take your time, your energy, your money, your passion, your talents and you give it to God.  You surrender it all.  Granted most of us will never be able to open a Creationist Museum, but we can choose to glorify God with the things that we are good at. 

So whatever your talents are I hope that in the back of your mind your thinking, I wonder how God could use this to further his kingdom.  Also if you ever happen to make your way to NE stop on by the Boneyard Creation Museum and take a look at what happens when you are a little crazy about following God.  

Blessings,

Todd Sommer 

Posted via email from Faith and Victory Church Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment