Thursday, October 2, 2008

Nice Cold Fanta Orange

Its still screaming hot here. Almost feels like its getting hotter maybe. Perhaps its the intermittant storms, or the absolute fire of the Holy Ghost, but it is HOT.

Sorry i didnt write yesterday.. I think its been a few days since I've writtten. We've just been really busy.

Yesterday we spent the morning driving around Accra running errands. Not really much more to talk about that experience in that it was similar to other days around Accra. I am still amazed at the driving that happens here. Total and complete chaos, yet no one seems to ever get in a wreck. No one gets mad at people cutting in line, or cutting someone off. Quite refreshing in fact. Americans seem to get really angry while driving for seemingly small things. In Ghana, you force your way in, honk your horn, and the guy you just did it do doesn't raise a concern at all. I'm going to bring that back with me to the US. Not the part about not getting mad, the part about doing what I want on the road and using my horn more often.

Another thing that I am going to bring back to the US is what they do in Ghanian churches in the villages. Church is hot, and long, so after the song service, the ushers walk around the church and if you fall asleep, they crack you on your head with a small switch. What a great idea! I think I may market this item to area churches. We'll call it the "victory stick" with an infomerical and everything.. what do you think? Great idea eh?

So last night we went up to visit a village church. It took us about 1.5 hours to get to there because of traffic, but what took even longer was the roads. Folks, we have unmaintained logging roads that are better than alot of main roads here. Pot holes galore, unfinished roads, deep crevasses from rains. Its crazy. If i lived here I'd have to get a 4X4.

So we got the the church last night (late), but still there. Probably about 125 people were at church. And like before SINGING THEIR HEARTS OUT. Its amazing to watch the Ghanians worship. Our churches can really learn alot from it. They sing, and dance and have the time of their lives. Americans are too concerned with what people think or how they may be percieved. It appears that the Ghanians are not concerned with it at all. They WORSHIP and it is very evident.

I had the opportunity to preach again through an interpreter. Its quite a different experience, but it was still cool. There is a clear immediate spiritual connection that we have with the people here through Jesus Christ. Its awesome. I spoke on what Faith can do in your life from the Book of Daniel. It appeared to be well recieved by the feedback I got from the church. The best part- after preaching in this windowless concrete church they blessed us right after with ice cold soda pop in a glass bottle. I dont think I have had a more refreshing beverage in my entire life. Ice Cold Orange Fanta in a bottle at 900 at night in 80 degree heat goes down real nice. Man it was good. What a blessing.

The people here are the same as the people in the US in that they have problems, but they are just different kinds of problems. We pray for a different job, house, or things. They pray for a meal for work, for the health of their family. You can see the love of God in their eyes as much as you can in the US, it just their needs are much different. Its a priveledge (sp?) to be here and meet these people. They are so welcoming and warm hearted. Its great.

So we're driving home last night and I asked Pastor Ong what we were going to do today, and he says "oh yea, you're going to preach to all my pastors in the morning. Not too much, just about 45 mins or so". Sweet. Great opportunity, very short notice. So I had from when we got home at about 11 to when we got up at 7 to go the next morning to prepare a few thought for a dozen pastors.

God showed up. The message to the pastors went over very well and they were blessed. I've never spoke to a group of pastors before so it was a new experience, but one that was fun. What was great is that it was the first message I've been able to preach here without an interpreter. Praise the Lord it went well.

God is moving here. He's impacting peoples lives and filling them with the power of the Holy Spirit. Its great to be a part of what God is doing here in Ghana. I thank him every day for this opportunity. Its a blessing.

God's best to you. Hope you are all doing well. I would love to get some questions or comments from some of you we haven't heard from. I'm using krachunis at gmail.com while I am here if you want to write me or corb.

Love you all. Can't wait to get home wednesday.

matt and corb.

4 comments:

  1. Hey man, I know what you mean about a super cold soda on a hot day. I loved drinking out of a glass bottle in Costa Rica. But when you wanted to take it to-go, they would pour it into a zip-loc baggie with a straw... they needed the bottle for the deposit.

    Both of you guys stay safe over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wondering Matt if there isn't something we can do for the church there from here? How can the opportunity you're experiencing also be experienced by us at Faith & Victory?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber- when I get home we can discuss some very concrete ways we can get involved with the ministry here. There are a ton of needs here. Now that we have a connection it will be easier to get involved.

    bless you
    matt

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to it Matt. I just feel this great urge to be doing something.

    ReplyDelete