Thursday, January 14, 2010

American Idol- Why do You Entrap Me With Your Snare?

Ok- I'll admit it- I think I might be a bit addicted to American Idol. I said that last year was my last year, but here I am again watching season 9. Luckily I have a DVR, so I am able to watch it on my timeline, but I'm still watching it.

I'm not sure if you're an idol fan or not. Its not for everyone, but it definitely has a draw to watch. Its kind of like a train wreck- you can't help but watch. Last night has some hilarious parts! LOVED "Pants on the ground".

You're probably going to view me a bit differently after I tell you this, but I actually get a bit teared up at times when I watch that show. Not like blubbering crying when you just watched the Notebook, but enough you have to rub your eyes a bit.

There was a gal Vanessa Wolfe on the show last night who was from this real small town in Tennessee called Venore. She wasn't overly attractive, or confident, so even before she began, I wondered whether or not she could sing. She could. Quite well in fact.

When the judges started to tell her what a wonderful singer she was, the look on this girls face told what a thousand words couldn't- she felt valued. She felt validated. She felt special. Her heart was changing as we watched.

I'm sure she had often wondered if she was a good singer, if she was special, if she was ever going to leave her small town, and right before her eyes- all of it was coming true. She didn't wonder if she was good anymore. She finally knew she was good.

Why does that make me tear up? Because I absolutely love to see people who finally figure out their inherent value. Sure, it shouldn't have to take being on American Idol to feel validated, but for this girl- it appeared to be the case and it was great to watch.

It brings up the question- what will it take for you to feel validated and experience your inherent value? I'm sure its not going on American Idol, but this is what I want you to know today-

The creator of the Universe sees inherent value in who you are. He created you. He Loves you. You're his proverbial "American Idol" (with a full understanding of the sin of idolatry- but lets not get hung up on the words here).

God loves you. Believes in you. Cherishes you.

As Max Lucado said "If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it".

Blessings
matt

1 comment:

  1. pants on the floor, pants on the floor, looking like a fool with your pants on the floor. I've been singing that for three days now.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete