Friday, January 22, 2010

Screaming Out The Window At 730am

On most Friday mornings, I get up to go and do a Bible Study with some young guys. We meet at the Young Life house down in Auburn, which is about 2 blocks down from the High School.

We get together at about 630am and have some breakfast, and then spend about 30 mins hanging out and talking about the Bible and what it means to our everyday life. Its a really cool time. We get to laugh, and joke, and the guys get to rib me about having a big head and eating too many donuts. I think part of the reason that they come is that they get to poke fun at a 35 year old guy who can handle whatever they dish out. Its a great time.

This morning was no different. We had some superb breakfast (dutch babies, fruit and whip cream) that was provided by one of the supporters of Young Life, and then we spent some time talking about the Bible. Today's discussion was centered around Jesus being the light of the World, and how we as Christians, need to be that light, and allow God to use us to bring light to other people. It was a great discussion.

When we were done, 5 of the guys wanted me to drive them the 2 blocks to school. Seriously? 2 blocks? These are all athletic young kids who could probably walk on their hands for 2 blocks, but I gave in anyway.

Opportunities like this don't come very often, but I maximized this 2 blocks for all it was worth. They wanted to listen to their radio station, so I let them. As luck would have it, it was a love song on. So I did what any adult would do in this situation. I rolled down all the windows, turned up the radio as loud as possible and drove about 3 miles an hour.

I wish you could have seen all 5 of these guys try to sink down as far as they could into the car. HILARIOUS. But here's the best part- they were sitting 4 across in the seat, so they had no where to go! They couldn't scrunch down! So what did I do? Screamed out the window as loud as I could for all the kids outside the school to look at us! " HEYYYYY WHAT'S UP AUBURN HIIIIGGGGHHHH?". It was AWESOME! I really wish you could have seen these guys pulling their hoods down and their shirts up so they wouldn't be seen. It was priceless.

When I finally stopped the SUV, they were all laughing uncontrollably. It was great. We had a really good laugh to start the day. Sure, it was at the expense of some adolescent pride, but it was well worth it. I could only imagine how I would have felt as a ninth grader being dropped off at school by some buffoon yelling out the window at 730am.

Don't take yourself so seriously today. Have some fun. Make someone laugh. Enjoy yourself. Sometimes people think that they are doing God a favor by being downtrodden or upset. Life is to short (or too long) to spend it wallowing in self pity. Get out there and have a good laugh today.

If you can do with some kids, even better.

Blessings
matt

4 comments:

  1. I just love your spirit Matt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to say it....but I still do that. Nothing like alittle Sinatra full bore when arriving at the Jr. High....PS: this wasnt posted by Frank btw....but he would agree w/ me I'm sure!
    Michele L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt, you are awesome. This is why I love you. You are G E N U I N E! I know these guys loevd what you did, even though they pretended to be embarrassed. You have such a calling and I can't wait to see you in 15 years and the man/preacher you have become. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete